Page 166 of 193 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

  1. #1651
    Senior Member DinoDerek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Yeah, I wanted to do Shining Force III (I still do, actually - all of them)
    Vic I know you probably don't want to say too much but when you say "I still do" does this mean there could be a remote possibility of Gajin ever bringing them back to a newer platform (ps4, vita)??? (all 4 discs) That would be unbelievable. Especially with how popular the Fire Emblem series has made the genre, I could see it doing well in sales.

  2. #1652
    Senior Member segamegax4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Mind numb. Same Stolar / Saturn conversations from 20 years ago. Probably same Working Deisgns Message Board SEGA trolls living in mom's basement.

    Alert... Alert... Malfunction.... *BOOM*

    Attachment 1607

    *BLEEP* NSFW http://www.cc.com/video-clips/e748yj...e---uncensored
    I just recently learned all this just a few years ago i had no idea about stolar or what happened to my saturn up until about 2013. oddly enough I never even thought about my saturn all that time only to find out it was actually the greatest console of all time

  3. #1653
    Senior Member segamegax4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Saturn was never going to WIN that generation here, but with ANYONE else, it could have made a respectable showing. You have to remember there were almost TWO YEARS of NOTHING because Bernie killed Saturn too early, trying to push the DC release up when that didn't happen. Two years of okay sales are much better than literally nothing. It was a dark time, and SEGA never really recovered, especially at retail that remained wary for the DC after what SEGA did to them for Saturn's launch and unexpected, abrupt end.

    Yeah, I wanted to do Shining Force III (I still do, actually - all of them), but it wasn't going to happen. But this reminded me,(again) of one SEGA title that pissed me off - Phantasy Star IV. We stepped in to do that when SoA passed because they said was no market for it (total bull) and it wouldn't sell. But when they learned we got involved and were going to license it from SoJ, SoA magically became interested again, but only so they could sell it for a ridiculous price to PROVE there was no market, rather than have us succeed with it and prove them wrong to SoJ. That $100 price had nothing to do with reality and everything to do with them trying to kill the title at launch with a price like 60% over the norm to prove a point. They failed. Even at $100, it sold out.
    what do you think the last game published would have been if stolar hadnt been around? I know we wouldve gotten deep fear

  4. #1654
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by segamegax4 View Post
    I just recently learned all this just a few years ago i had no idea about stolar or what happened to my saturn up until about 2013. oddly enough I never even thought about my saturn all that time only to find out it was actually the greatest console of all time
    I'm kinda messing with you. Back on the Working Designs Message Board, it was like a daily thing where new people would stop in and troll anti-Stolar comments and ask the same questions over and over again. Basically, it was a haven for the broken armies of disgruntled SEGA and Turbo rejects (the old school) and obsessed Playstation fanboys (the newcomers).

  5. #1655
    Senior Member segamegax4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Saturn was never going to WIN that generation here, but with ANYONE else, it could have made a respectable showing. You have to remember there were almost TWO YEARS of NOTHING because Bernie killed Saturn too early, trying to push the DC release up when that didn't happen. Two years of okay sales are much better than literally nothing. It was a dark time, and SEGA never really recovered, especially at retail that remained wary for the DC after what SEGA did to them for Saturn's launch and unexpected, abrupt end.

    Yeah, I wanted to do Shining Force III (I still do, actually - all of them), but it wasn't going to happen. But this reminded me,(again) of one SEGA title that pissed me off - Phantasy Star IV. We stepped in to do that when SoA passed because they said was no market for it (total bull) and it wouldn't sell. But when they learned we got involved and were going to license it from SoJ, SoA magically became interested again, but only so they could sell it for a ridiculous price to PROVE there was no market, rather than have us succeed with it and prove them wrong to SoJ. That $100 price had nothing to do with reality and everything to do with them trying to kill the title at launch with a price like 60% over the norm to prove a point. They failed. Even at $100, it sold out.
    how much did phantasy star 4 sell? I didnt know soa was against jrps when tom was in charge

  6. #1656
    Senior Member kleev_55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Yeah, I wanted to do Shining Force III (I still do, actually - all of them), but it wasn't going to happen. But this reminded me,(again) of one SEGA title that pissed me off - Phantasy Star IV. We stepped in to do that when SoA passed because they said was no market for it (total bull) and it wouldn't sell. But when they learned we got involved and were going to license it from SoJ, SoA magically became interested again, but only so they could sell it for a ridiculous price to PROVE there was no market, rather than have us succeed with it and prove them wrong to SoJ. That $100 price had nothing to do with reality and everything to do with them trying to kill the title at launch with a price like 60% over the norm to prove a point. They failed. Even at $100, it sold out.
    Holy.......... I do want that Shining Force III !!!!!!!!! PLEASE!
    That game needs lots of adjustments though. Starting with the soundtrack.
    Motoi Sakuraba is a great composer, but his music in Shining Force III sounds really incredibly out of place compared with the SF 1, 2, and CD (GameGear) soundtracks.
    It was like if I was going to play Lunar 3, but Koji Kondo composed its music and it sounded like a Super Mario game. JUST. NO.
    SF3 sounds just like an early Tales of game, except even more generic as if Tales wasn't already generic.

    Also, wow, that's an awesome story Phantasy Star IV has! I had no idea it had been priced at $100.
    I heard Dragon Quest VI was priced something like that in Japan, and a few other top SNES RPGs were only close to $100.
    Last edited by kleev_55; 12-23-2016 at 12:54 AM.

  7. #1657
    Senior Member zanth1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Mandan, ND
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by segamegax4 View Post
    what do you think the last game published would have been if stolar hadnt been around? I know we wouldve gotten deep fear
    The last game published likely still would have been Magic Knight Rayearth. Great game tho, worth the wait.

  8. #1658
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by zanth1979 View Post
    The last game published likely still would have been Magic Knight Rayearth. Great game tho, worth the wait.
    Yeah. Probably one of my favorite Saturn releases, and one of the few that I actually picked up upon release. I got into the Saturn thing a bit late.

  9. #1659
    Senior Member DinoDerek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    903
    As you can tell by my sig, I enjoyed Magic Knight Rayearth. Honestly the first time I played it I couldn't get into it. Maybe putting unfair expectations on it. But I waited a few months and went back to it. Loved it. One of the best looking 2D games of that era. Great voice acting IMO and great anime style. Its light and enjoyable. A perfect western style game localized. I think some who aren't huge on the game probably expect it to be a full on RPG when its more of an anime licensed action rpg/adventure game.

    I liked the voice acted diary you guys (vic) added but would have maybe loved had you been able to continue to voice act the game like first section had. Likely would have taken quite a while.
    Last edited by DinoDerek; 12-23-2016 at 06:05 AM.

  10. #1660
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek View Post
    As you can tell by my sig, I enjoyed it. Honestly the first time I played it I couldnt get into it. Maybe putting unfair expectations. But I waited a few months and went back to it. Loved it. One of the best looking 2D games. Great voice acting IMO and great anime style.
    II need to pop it back in for a playthrough. I don't think that I've play it since....


    R-192102-1257070128.jpeg.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •