Page 12 of 193 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Oh, I'll play it, it's just part of a very extensive and carefully-constructed backlog. In the back of my mind I keep thinking that the game industry at large is inevitably going to change too much and piss me off to the point that I can no longer support it in good conscience, and when that day comes, I'll need stuff to play. Hence, massive stockpiling.

Quote Originally Posted by PW_Patrick View Post
    Oh, I'll play it, it's just part of a very extensive and carefully-constructed backlog. In the back of my mind I keep thinking that the game industry at large is inevitably going to change too much and piss me off to the point that I can no longer support it in good conscience, and when that day comes, I'll need stuff to play. Hence, massive stockpiling.
    So you're a prepper gamer then .
    Another regular at the cyber-bar. Getting drunk on bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by PW_Patrick View Post
    Thats how I feel about the next gen.

Alundra II wasn't bad. I played it without playing the first (I just got the first Alundra 3-4 years ago--still haven't gotten through it), and thought it was decent.

Was internal development ever on the table at WD (or even now)? As awesome as the localizations are, a completely original game that is 100% exactly how you would want it to be is something that crossed my mind years ago as an absolutely awesome proposition.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 05-16-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Was internal development ever on the table at WD (or even now)? As awesome as the localizations are, a completely original game that is 100% exactly how you would want it to be is something that crossed my mind years ago as an absolutely awesome proposition.
    I thought they did one on the Turbo Duo. That was before my time as a fan, but I'm pretty sure I heard of one original game by them...

Way too risky, and there are so many great RPG orphans to spend time with that I already know are great.

As awesome as the localizations are, a completely original game that is 100% exactly how you would want it to be is something that crossed my mind years ago as an absolutely awesome proposition.
    Believe me when I tell you that this is millions of times easier in theory than it is in execution. No one sets out to make a mediocre game; everyone starts out with great ideas and intentions of making the next big blockbuster. Then time, money, and other practical constraints kick in and force you to settle for "good enough" instead of your sweeping epic vision. If you're unlucky, poor communication, infighting, personality conflicts, conflicting design visions, bad or capricious leadership, and other setbacks can come in, and when enough of these crop up you wind up with a game that bears very little resemblance to its original concept.
    "Life is a serious battle, and you have to use the tools you're given. It's more important to master the cards you're holding than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." — Grimsley, Pokémon Black/White 2

Hey Vic, do you know Japanese? Might be a dumb question, or else how would you know what foreign RPGs to bring over? Word of mouth? etc

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Hey Vic, do you know Japanese? Might be a dumb question, or else how would you know what foreign RPGs to bring over? Word of mouth? etc
    I know just enough Japanese to get by in games and in Japan navigation (where's this? where's that? do you have? I want, etc). You'd be surprised how little Japanese you need to know to be able to get through a game in Japanese. All it takes usually is determination. Only a couple games ever beat me. I got stuck in the SEGA CD 3x3 Eyes RPG and never finished, and there was a PC-Engine RPG I don't remember the name of that I got stuck on because I couldn't cross a river, and I couldn't figure out what I had to do to be ABLE to cross that river. Of course, those are pre-internet we have now, and I was playing games that no one, of a handful of English-speakers were playing at the time, so if I was stuck, tough. I had to figure it out, and I usually did - except those two cases.