Page 16 of 193 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Gah! My variant collecting continues then. I thought I had every variant of every Working Designs release until you just confirmed this. After years of work one thinks they've got it all covered and then new info throws it into chaos.

Just to make sure as well: Iron Storm, Shining Wisdom, and Sega Ages never had disc variants did they?
    Right, no variants for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebappren View Post
    Why the Romancing SaGa trilogy?
    I already appreciate it on the levels on which I've been able to experience it (the soundtrack and secondhand info from people who have played them), and I love the SaGa series in general. I've been told that the Romancing trilogy were the "high point" games, so naturally I've gotta get in on that.

From what I played, Romancing Saga (on PS2), it seemed pretty intriguing.

Hey Vic, I was wondering if there are any plans(if it's possible to begin with) for GW to re-release the rest of the non-lunar WD psone games on PSN? I'm particularly interested in Elemental Gearbolt and Silhouette Mirage, I'd love to play em on my Vita :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    Hey Vic, I was wondering if there are any plans(if it's possible to begin with) for GW to re-release the rest of the non-lunar WD psone games on PSN? I'm particularly interested in Elemental Gearbolt and Silhouette Mirage, I'd love to play em on my Vita :P
    There's no lightgun support in the PSOne emulation for Elemental Gearbolt, so that can't be done (can't release as a joystick only game). We've talked to Treasure about SM but no deal yet. Haven't given up on it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    There's no lightgun support in the PSOne emulation for Elemental Gearbolt, so that can't be done (can't release as a joystick only game). We've talked to Treasure about SM but no deal yet. Haven't given up on it, though.
    That's a shame but well at least SM is still possible

Quote Originally Posted by PW_Patrick View Post
    I already appreciate it on the levels on which I've been able to experience it (the soundtrack and secondhand info from people who have played them), and I love the SaGa series in general. I've been told that the Romancing trilogy were the "high point" games, so naturally I've gotta get in on that.
    How much would it cost to localize RS II and III for the virtual console? They are on there. II is also on mobile phones. It's a shame that there have been plenty of recent releases, in the series, that have never been localized, including a puffed up version of the great Final Fantasy Legend II. Part of it may have to do with Unlimited SaGa's reputation. It's also a shame that it seems like the SaGa series has been plenty neglected recently. Emperor's SaGa did come out, but supposedly it was very bad.
    Another regular at the cyber-bar. Getting drunk on bandwidth.

srry I just kinda joined and I wanted to get in on this conversation while it was still hot & I have some catching up to do so sorry for the tl;dr

Bad people do bad things. And those bad people who worked there at the time did lots of bad things that really started to hurt PlayStation 2, and definitely hurt PlayStation 3 in the US substantially, and Working Designs specifically. Fortunately, the group that's at Sony now "get" it and is heavily weighted toward gamers again. It's the best group of people since the PS1, easily. And the person I blame directly for smothering WD is now killing another company from the inside out, which is what that company deserves unemployed.
    Man, tell me about it. Whoda thunk Kevin Butler would've been playing for the other team using a tire store as a front to pass out free Wii's?

He's a she, and I can't really go into detail.
    *spitscoffeeallovertheplace* KEVIN BUTLER IS FEMALE?!?!

They used no voice actors from SSSC on Harmony, even though I offered to get them all and fill in the new stuff, and a number were ready to go. The only person they used was Jenny on the two songs
    this is... really interesting. Victor, if you aren't lying, then you've got to be the only personality in the industry I've seen haters with such a personal grudge against you they'd straight up lie to smear your reputation. I've read the claim you had some bizarre mafia like stranglehold on anything and anyone related to WD"s work on Lunar and that you were so furious Jenny dared sing for someone else's Lunar that you disowned her. Not kidding. And this was dreck written by people who are somewhat tied into the gaming industry.

ok, with that out of the way, there are some questions I'd like to know the answers to. If you don't mind, of course.

how did Working Designs originate? The story has faded into obscurity and there the few stories out there are wildly conflicting.

what did Sylvia Schmitt do WD? she's listed in most of their games

after reading your decision process for TGCD games, I'm really curious on the decision to port Exile now. On one hand the game is really weird. On the other, there were at least 2 places within the game I got stuck because the game designers had a real bad habit of hiding the key items you needed to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    this is... really interesting. Victor, if you aren't lying, then you've got to be the only personality in the industry I've seen haters with such a personal grudge against you they'd straight up lie to smear your reputation. I've read the claim you had some bizarre mafia like stranglehold on anything and anyone related to WD"s work on Lunar and that you were so furious Jenny dared sing for someone else's Lunar that you disowned her. Not kidding. And this was dreck written by people who are somewhat tied into the gaming industry.
    You probably got an amalgam of the truth. I did offer to get all the voice talent back together and record the new stuff plus license the old performance to them (which they didn't have rights to) so they'd have a new version that was a continuation of what came before. As they process moved on, they started making statements that concerned me and then decided to go their own way. The original cast trusts me and there's no way they were all making a pilgrimage to LA to re-record the whole game anyway, so the mafia-like hold is kind of silly. It simply wasn't practical without me. Except for Jenny, who was down there. However I begged her not to do it because based on what had been said already, I knew it would be awful and hurt the series' name, and she was getting a lousy $200. But, she did it anyway because she thought it was opening her up to more work. After how awful and tone-deaf the lyrics were, the final result was sealed. She hasn't gotten any work out of it - and who would hire her with a terrible calling card like that? It's embarrassing.

how did Working Designs originate? The story has faded into obscurity and there the few stories out there are wildly conflicting.
    Maybe later. That's a lot of typing, and there has to be a version of the story on the internet somewhere already.

what did Sylvia Schmitt do WD? she's listed in most of their games
    She was 51% partner in the company. I was 49%.

after reading your decision process for TGCD games, I'm really curious on the decision to port Exile now. On one hand the game is really weird. On the other, there were at least 2 places within the game I got stuck because the game designers had a real bad habit of hiding the key items you needed to progress.
    I just liked the game. Weird is very attractive to me in games. I hate sameness. Of course, with all the drug references, I had to tone it way down, but it was essentially the same game.

You probably got an amalgam of the truth. I did offer to get all the voice talent back together and record the new stuff plus license the old performance to them (which they didn't have rights to) so they'd have a new version that was a continuation of what came before. As they process moved on, they started making statements that concerned me and then decided to go their own way. The original cast trusts me and there's no way they were all making a pilgrimage to LA to re-record the whole game anyway, so the mafia-like hold is kind of silly. It simply wasn't practical without me. Except for Jenny, who was down there. However I begged her not to do it because based on what had been said already, I knew it would be awful and hurt the series' name, and she was getting a lousy $200. But, she did it anyway because she thought it was opening her up to more work. After how awful and tone-deaf the lyrics were, the final result was sealed. She hasn't gotten any work out of it - and who would hire her with a terrible calling card like that? It's embarrassing.
    wow. thank you for clearing that up.

Maybe later. That's a lot of typing, and there has to be a version of the story on the internet somewhere already.
    the internet is the problem there are 2 readily available stories I can come across. I'm not looking for an autobiography or essay just the mere basics. One of the stories is something like Working Designs started off as some sort of tax software company, its original president died of natural causes, nobody knew what to do until leadership kinda fell into your hands as you took advantage of connections to Japanese game companies you made writing for some gaming rag and they threw you a few cheap licenses which worked out business wise.

Then there's another one that claims Working Designs was originally part of some logging company until the president ODed on drugs, you were second in command and decided you wanted to do video games instead of crap involving logging.

I just liked the game. Weird is very attractive to me in games. I hate sameness. Of course, with all the drug references, I had to tone it way down, but it was essentially the same game.
    haha, I'll take your word for it.