Page 24 of 193 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Those Saturn memory carts sure were tough to come by. So were the RAM carts. I personally have an Action Replay.

How about this one? http://segaretro.org/Saturn_Floppy_Drive . Hard to believe that they released a *floppy drive* for the Saturn.

Quote Originally Posted by PW_Patrick View Post
    Do you think he would've had the balls to try and torpedo FFVII had he stayed?
    Who knows, Squaresoft may have ended up releasing Final Fantasy VII on the Saturn
    It would have been interesting if Final Fantasy VIII and IX were released on the Dreamcast, Square would have had a more powerful system then the PSX to work with
    Last edited by Tsukoblue; 05-29-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    Who knows, Squaresoft may have ended up releasing Final Fantasy VII on the Saturn
    *Twilight Zone theme plays*

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    That was pretty cool that WD was trying to fight against Stolar's attempt to kill off the Saturn

I wonder what he thought of all the requests from fans for RPGs that Sony got during the time he was running SCEA
    There were a lot of things wrong with the Saturn beyond just RPGs. I don't know if Stolar can be held responsible for everything that went wrong with that system. Capcom basically walked (forced?) away from the Saturn around the time its CPS2 fighting games were kicking into high gear and absolutely flawless ports would have been available had the RAM cart been officially supported outside of Japan. Same with SNK and its Neo Geo games. If you wanted to play many of the best fighting games at home and didn't import you had to settle for PlayStation versions that ranged from "decent" to "laughably embarrassing." And without the extra RAM having a North American presence, the Saturn ports of the Mortal Kombat games wound up being essentially identical to their PlayStation counterparts when they could have otherwise been clear winners.

Take all this and lay it on top of the lack of a flagship Sonic game, new franchises like Bug! and Clockwork Knight never really taking off, and awful video encoding during an FMV craze that made it appear upon first glance that multiplatform titles were better on the PlayStation and you get a combination of bad decisions and bad luck that caused as much grief as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    There were a lot of things wrong with the Saturn beyond just RPGs. I don't know if Stolar can be held responsible for everything that went wrong with that system. Capcom basically walked (forced?) away from the system around the time its CPS2 fighting games were kicking into high gear and absolutely flawless ports would have been available had the RAM cart been officially supported outside of Japan. Same with SNK and its Neo Geo games. If you wanted to play many of the best fighting games at home and didn't import you had to settle for PlayStation versions that ranged from "decent" to "laughably embarrassing." And without the extra RAM having a North American presence, the Saturn ports of the Mortal Kombat games wound up being essentially identical to their PlayStation counterparts when they could have otherwise been clear winners.

Take all this and lay it on top of the lack of a flagship Sonic game, new franchises like Bug! and Clockwork Knight never really taking off, and awful video encoding during an FMV craze that made it appear upon first glance that multiplatform titles were better on the PlayStation and you get a combination of bad decisions and bad luck that caused as much grief as possible.
    Glad I'm not the only fighting gamer in here.

Man, I can only imagine what the UMK3 port could have been like if armed with Capcom's (or even SNK's) RAM expansion...didn't a few US releases actually have RAM support as hidden features?

Edit: Sonic Xtreme would have been an interesting game if released. IIRC that's one situation where Stolar was actually (at least trying to be) the good guy. Something about him trying to get resources from Japan on STI's behalf to get the game done, then Naka threw a hissy fit and everything went south?

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    There were a lot of things wrong with the Saturn beyond just RPGs. I don't know if Stolar can be held responsible for everything that went wrong with that system. Capcom basically walked (forced?) away from the Saturn around the time its CPS2 fighting games were kicking into high gear and absolutely flawless ports would have been available had the RAM cart been officially supported outside of Japan. Same with SNK and its Neo Geo games. If you wanted to play many of the best fighting games at home and didn't import you had to settle for PlayStation versions that ranged from "decent" to "laughably embarrassing." And without the extra RAM having a North American presence, the Saturn ports of the Mortal Kombat games wound up being essentially identical to their PlayStation counterparts when they could have otherwise been clear winners.

I wouldn't call awful FMV encoding the problem. The Saturn didn't have a built-in MPEG decoder (Hi-Saturn included an MPEG card). Naturally, this creates a problem when software decoders are simply insufficient at a time when FMV is all the rage. There were better software decoders that eventually made their way to the system, but most of them looked very bad compared to the Playstation.

As far as arcade-perfect ports go, the Dreamcast would be the first *mainstream* console (as far as I am concerned) that had the horsepower to consistently bring us arcade-perfect games without add-on hardware. The Saturn had some amazing ports, but not without the help of the RAM expansion. Arcade-perfect games were always an extra step away in that case. Before the Dreamcast, my friends and I played all of our arcade games on an import Saturn with RAM expansion. It was simply the best.

didn't a few US releases actually have RAM support as hidden features?
    The only one I know of for sure is Marvel Super Heroes. If you have the RAM cart it'll use it. Athough it doesn't mention this as a feature anywhere.

Edit: Sonic Xtreme would have been an interesting game if released. IIRC that's one situation where Stolar was actually (at least trying to be) the good guy. Something about him trying to get resources from Japan on STI's behalf to get the game done, then Naka threw a hissy fit and everything went south?
    From what I've pieced together from rumors and comments from Peter Moore, Sega of Japan had a dysfunctional relationship with the American branch. This is something that supposedly went as far back as the Genesis which is why the 32X seems like such an oddball in retrospect and why the Saturn launch was a disaster. To be fair, Sonic Xtreme probably was in such a state that justified cancellation. But it just goes to show how bad it must have been for Sonic the freakin' Hedgehog to get the axe.

Do you think he would've had the balls to try and torpedo FFVII had he stayed?
    No idea, but that was Square, and they were huge then, so I think it would have been rammed through from the Japanese side even if he tried.

From what I've pieced together from rumors and comments from Peter Moore, Sega of Japan had a dysfunctional relationship with the American branch.
    Sounded downright adversarial to me, and it seems Naka had a really nasty inferiority complex around that time.

How I understand it (bolded for emphasis because my info is very old and came from all over the place), STI was horribly mismanaged at the time Sonic Xtreme was green-lit, went through restructuring when said mismanagement was recognized, putting Mike Wallis in charge of the Sonic Xtreme project. Stolar joined SOA shortly after, and asked Wallis if there was anything he could do to help the project along. Development tools are requested, particularly the Nights engine from Japan (which would have made for an AMAZING Sonic game), which Stolar went after only to get one of the nastiest overreactions imaginable from SOJ: an emphatic no and a threat from Naka to WALK if guys like Okawa or Irimajiri complied. Even after that, Chris Coffin put the entire project on his back and it only failed when he got so sick that he couldn't push the game out for Xmas 96 to go head-to-head with Super Mario 64. (Sad. Nowadays studios have the sense in that event to just say "screw it, we'll release in Q1 and still do well, this is an important game.")

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Glad I'm not the only fighting gamer in here.

Man, I can only imagine what the UMK3 port could have been like if armed with Capcom's (or even SNK's) RAM expansion...didn't a few US releases actually have RAM support as hidden features?

I'm a huge fan of KoF and LB .