Page 138 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

  1. #1371
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,430
    I got my Lunar: SSSC direct from WD and got the bonus demo CD and pin back in the day. I ordered Enternal Blue from GameStop though to get my puppet.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

  2. #1372
    Senior Member segamegax4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    309
    on SATURN god i Can just imagine that foil cover......

  3. #1373
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by segamegax4 View Post
    well marilyn manson released his new album on psx discs and sega gave someone an autographed dreamcast and a copy of panzer dragoon saga so maybe they did make a new copy
    I am HUGE Marilyn Manson fan, and yes his newest album "The Pale Emporer" does look just like a PS1 disc. By that I mean the underside is completely black. I believe he said in an interview (which I don't have handy) that he made them black to contrast the "Pale" in the album title, and also to help prevent burning/illegal copying.

    That being said, I don't think this has anything to do with Sony or PlayStation. The article written with the headline "Manson new album is on a PSX disc" or whatever it was, was just to grab attention to the article.

  4. #1374
    Senior Member segamegax4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    309
    were WD games 50$ on the saturn back in the 90s

  5. #1375
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,430
    That was the retail price I believe. At least it was for Rayearth, although many were clearanced out over time and sold for less eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

  6. #1376
    Senior Member ramzastrife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    3,001
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    That was the retail price I believe. At least it was for Rayearth, although many were clearanced out over time and sold for less eventually.
    I am pretty sure they were higher than that. I want to say they were $70.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

  7. #1377
    Senior Member segamegax4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    I am pretty sure they were higher than that. I want to say they were $70.
    on the saturn?

  8. #1378
    Senior Member mandy_moorehol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    KoalaWalla Land
    Posts
    2,208
    I don't recall console RPGs in the '90s generally dipping below $50 at retail. They seemed to never go on clearance and you were lucky to find many of them at all. I don't recall Saturn RPGs being on clearance at retail even when the system was an obvious lost cause to everyone. I was constantly eyeing Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey, and Shining the Holy Ark and they were always the same price and then eventually not on the shelves anymore while other games lingered long enough to end up severely marked down. The same thing was true with Chrono Trigger, which was still at least $50 over two years after it was released (it was still on the shelves at big box retail stores in my area when Kirby's Dreamland 3 was out; which was the last SNES game).

    You pretty much had to go to a second-hand store and hope they had an RPG you wanted (or any at all) and they were often still expensive when you could actually find them used . . . which is why I only had a few RPGs during those times. I was collecting for Saturn right after it died and I had little luck finding Saturn RPGs I could afford (used or new) besides Shining Wisdom. This is also why I would blind buy stuff like Arcana on the SNES; it wasn't super easy to find, but was inexpensive used when I saw it.

    One could assume by the label/box/manual/disc artwork what might be an RPG by obvious fantasy/medieval/anime elements depicted. However, it was difficult to be informed unless you were picking up gaming magazines regularly and also collected back issues (and a lot of magazines didn't really bother much with covering Saturn RPGs, though GameFan was an exception). Some were lucky to have the internet during the '90s, though I didn't get it until '99. That was my experience in the Midwest at least. Others might've had more luck at retail, but I can't imagine many/any Saturn RPGs had big enough print runs for it to be super easy. A lot of such games didn't seem to be bought much in the first place to be resold enough to help your chances.
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 06-07-2016 at 03:13 PM.

  9. #1379
    Senior Member segamegax4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    I don't recall console RPGs in the '90s generally dipping below $50 at retail. They seemed to never go on clearance and you were lucky to find many of them at all. I don't recall Saturn RPGs being on clearance at retail even when the system was an obvious lost cause to everyone. I was constantly eyeing Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey, and Shining the Holy Ark and they were always the same price and then eventually not on the shelves anymore while other games lingered long enough to end up severely marked down. The same thing was true with Chrono Trigger, which was still at least $50 over two years after it was released (it was still on the shelves at big box retail stores in my area when Kirby's Dreamland 3 was out; which was the last SNES game).

    You pretty much had to go to a second-hand store and hope they had an RPG you wanted (or any at all) and they were often still expensive when you could actually find them used . . . which is why I only had a few RPGs during those times. I was collecting for Saturn right after it died and I had little luck finding Saturn RPGs I could afford (used or new) besides Shining Wisdom. This is also why I would blind buy stuff like Arcana on the SNES; it wasn't super easy to find, but was inexpensive used when I saw it.

    One could assume by the label/box/manual/disc artwork what might be an RPG by obvious fantasy/medieval/anime elements depicted. However, it was difficult to be informed unless you were picking up gaming magazines regularly and also collected back issues (and a lot of magazines didn't really bother much with covering Saturn RPGs, though GameFan was an exception). Some were lucky to have the internet during the '90s, though I didn't get it until '99. That was my experience in the Midwest at least. Others might've had more luck at retail, but I can't imagine many/any Saturn RPGs had big enough print runs for it to be super easy. A lot of such games didn't seem to be bought much in the first place to be resold enough to help your chances.
    by lost cause you mean after stolar took over

  10. #1380
    Senior Member mandy_moorehol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    KoalaWalla Land
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by segamegax4 View Post
    by lost cause you mean after stolar took over
    I didn't even know who Stolar was at that time and there were way too many other issues like how difficult it was for devs to utilize Saturn hardware, the problems between the US and Japanese branches of Sega, no Sonic game that people wanted, and the lack of interest in 2D games on CD-based consoles in the West when the focus was more on pushing all the new polygonal stuff. The Saturn was practically doomed by design, as far as appealing to a US market, though Stolar definitely shortened its lifespan in the US on top of that.

    Stolar just poured a massive amount of gasoline on a building that was already on fire. Keep in mind that this was what happened after the failures of the Sega CD and 32X. Sega has been the underdog to say the least in every console generation they participated in, unless you're talking about outside of the US . . . so to sum up Sega's problems at that time by name-dropping Stolar is over-simplifying (but he was practically a cartoon villain that earned such a reputation anyway). Stolar didn't hire himself and just came from Sony, so it's not like Sega in general isn't responsible for offering him a job and keeping him on for so long and letting him do so much damage.
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 06-07-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •