Page 167 of 193 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by segamegax4 View Post
    what do you think the last game published would have been if stolar hadnt been around? I know we wouldve gotten deep fear
    Deep Fear would have been released before MKR likely. I actually own an official 100% complete US version of Deep Fear on official Sega discs given to me by a Sega employee. Basically we did get a US version just not official for sale with box etc. I don't think we would have gotten much more length out of the Saturn with someone else but perhaps more releases in between (Grandia perhaps)

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Saturn was never going to WIN that generation here, but with ANYONE else, it could have made a respectable showing. You have to remember there were almost TWO YEARS of NOTHING because Bernie killed Saturn too early, trying to push the DC release up when that didn't happen. Two years of okay sales are much better than literally nothing. It was a dark time, and SEGA never really recovered, especially at retail that remained wary for the DC after what SEGA did to them for Saturn's launch and unexpected, abrupt end.

Yeah, I wanted to do Shining Force III (I still do, actually - all of them), but it wasn't going to happen. But this reminded me,(again) of one SEGA title that pissed me off - Phantasy Star IV. We stepped in to do that when SoA passed because they said was no market for it (total bull) and it wouldn't sell. But when they learned we got involved and were going to license it from SoJ, SoA magically became interested again, but only so they could sell it for a ridiculous price to PROVE there was no market, rather than have us succeed with it and prove them wrong to SoJ. That $100 price had nothing to do with reality and everything to do with them trying to kill the title at launch with a price like 60% over the norm to prove a point. They failed. Even at $100, it sold out.
    Sega never knew how to manage a console. It was primarily an arcade game operation. A lot of people forget that the Genesis is a full two years older than the Super Nintendo and its early marketing was completely different. At first, Sega promoted the Genesis in a way similar to how SNK would eventually advertise the Neo Geo, as a means of finally playing your favorite arcade games at home. Altered Beast and Golden Axe were the flagship titles. The Genesis didn't take off until Sonic the Hedgehog and Mortal Kombat, when Sega pulled a Pepsi and picked a fight with the Super Nintendo.

Yes, that antagonistic marketing strategy clicked with the 90s crowd but it really was all just a stroke of good fortune. A flash in the pan kind of thing. Sega was in the right place at the right time and made like two good decisions, falling ass backwards into success and then rode the wave for about five years. They were coasting on momentum for a while but there was constant self-sabotage. Even the Sega CD, which I'm sympathetic to, did everything except enhance the color palette. The one thing that the Genesis needed the most was the one thing the Sega CD didn't address. Outside of that brief period around 1991-1993 with Sonic and Mortal Kombat, what did Sega ever do across their entire run in the console business that could be considered competent?
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 12-23-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Saturn was never going to WIN that generation here, but with ANYONE else, it could have made a respectable showing. You have to remember there were almost TWO YEARS of NOTHING because Bernie killed Saturn too early, trying to push the DC release up when that didn't happen. Two years of okay sales are much better than literally nothing. It was a dark time, and SEGA never really recovered, especially at retail that remained wary for the DC after what SEGA did to them for Saturn's launch and unexpected, abrupt end.

Yeah, I wanted to do Shining Force III (I still do, actually - all of them), but it wasn't going to happen. But this reminded me,(again) of one SEGA title that pissed me off - Phantasy Star IV. We stepped in to do that when SoA passed because they said was no market for it (total bull) and it wouldn't sell. But when they learned we got involved and were going to license it from SoJ, SoA magically became interested again, but only so they could sell it for a ridiculous price to PROVE there was no market, rather than have us succeed with it and prove them wrong to SoJ. That $100 price had nothing to do with reality and everything to do with them trying to kill the title at launch with a price like 60% over the norm to prove a point. They failed. Even at $100, it sold out.
    Didn't the first three Phantasy Star games sell well?

Did you consider bringing over the PS2 remakes of the first two Phantasy Star games or the PS2 Phantasy Star Collection when WD was still in business?

Quote Originally Posted by kleev_55 View Post
    Holy.......... I do want that Shining Force III !!!!!!!!! PLEASE!
    That game needs lots of adjustments though. Starting with the soundtrack.
    Motoi Sakuraba is a great composer, but his music in Shining Force III sounds really incredibly out of place compared with the SF 1, 2, and CD (GameGear) soundtracks.
    It was like if I was going to play Lunar 3, but Koji Kondo composed its music and it sounded like a Super Mario game. JUST. NO.
    SF3 sounds just like an early Tales of game, except even more generic as if Tales wasn't already generic.

Also, wow, that's an awesome story Phantasy Star IV has! I had no idea it had been priced at $100.
    I heard Dragon Quest VI was priced something like that in Japan, and a few other top SNES RPGs were only close to $100.
    I personally love SFIII as it was. Although I admit Ive only played the first scenario we got here. I have the other 2 translated and ready to play. But I enjoyed the soundtrack (other than some of the sound glitches). SFIII P1 by itself (the one we got over here) to me is one of the best games of that era by far. Just no one got to play it. And really still no one has. The 2nd and 3rd parts are actually even more impressive looking visually as they made improvements to the engine as they (Camelot) went along

I never did bother to finish SF III Part 1. I think it was the other two parts not being available in English that had been keeping me off of it. One of very few localized Saturn rpgs that I haven't finished, including Shining Holy Ark actually. Do still have both so maybe some day.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I never did bother to finish SF III Part 1. I think it was the other two parts not being available in English that had been keeping me off of it. One of very few localized Saturn rpgs that I haven't finished, including Shining Holy Ark actually. Do still have both so maybe some day.
    I never had a Sega Saturn, If I could find one for a good price I'd get it, the games are the main problem there

Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek View Post
    Deep Fear would have been released before MKR likely. I actually own an official 100% complete US version of Deep Fear on official Sega discs given to me by a Sega employee. Basically we did get a US version just not official for sale with box etc. I don't think we would have gotten much more length out of the Saturn with someone else but perhaps more releases in between (Grandia perhaps)
    well vic said he was going to localize a lot more games like sakura wars etc...im pretty sure that the last saturn games wouldve been published by working designs

well vic said he was going to localize a lot more games like sakura wars etc...im pretty sure that the last saturn games wouldve been published by working designs
    Why didn't he bring over the Dreamcast versions of Sakura Wars since Sega Japan fired Stolar shortly after the Dreamcast was released in NA

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Not sure how to compare it but the games were designed to be played separate (even though they lead to one big ending).

Its not like they only sent you Disc 1 of a 3 disc game. Part 1 is a full 40 hour great game but with, like other multi part games, a cliffhanger. Best comparison may be Golden Sun for GBA (which was made by Camelot too, they had a thing for doing that I guess lol)

I know a couple other people Ive run across that have a similar opinion, why should I play P1 if they aren't bringing over P2 and P3? Id say again by itself a great game. And in 2016 we have P2 and P3 translated by a talented team so now there is no excuse . Shining the Holy Ark is also fantastic. Both hold up very well.

Well yeah. As we speak the last game released outside of Japan was a Working Designs game (Magic Knight Rayearth). Maybe Vic can answer that one. Maybe those shooters packs he was talking about. My point is maybe we wouldnt have gotten much more after MKR but probably more in 1998 before it.
    Last edited by DinoDerek; 12-23-2016 at 11:31 PM.