Page 139 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Genesis started out an underdog but ended the generation very strong. Sega just overstretched themselves for the amount of stuff they were trying to support and it wound up bankrupting them. All the stuff they put out had to not only sell well, but in many cases carve out a new niche as well.

It's been hashed out many times, but the 32X shouldn't have been released and if possible during development the SegaCD should have been given a color palette upgrade to match the SNES at least. Plus, continue to support the Genesis/CD while the Saturn was building up steam. Their abandonment of the one solid moneymaking product they had just to focus on the future helped deplete their coffers even faster. Dreamcast did quite well considering how the deck was stacked against it going into release.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Seriously? We are having more conversations about Bernie Stolar again? I thought those largely died with the old WDMB.

readImage.jpg

we just keep reviving that dead horse and killing him over and over cause he didnt die hard enough the first time

Saw this on another forum and thought it would be cool to cross post.

Apparently Vic wrote a review of Ys III back in the day for Video Games & Computer Entertainment Magazine:

December 91 appears to be the print date so Vic was probably in full swing with his own titles. Makes me wonder if this was a regular thing for one publisher to provide reviews for another regularly. Either way a neat find!
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Saw this on another forum and thought it would be cool to cross post.
    Secret code, can anyone decipher it?

Spoiler: 
    PCEFX
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Secret code, can anyone decipher it?

Spoiler: 
    PCEFX
    Lol, I am also the one who noticed that Vic was the author on PCEFX as well :P

Yep, I saw that. I pretty much keep up with all the threads there now. The hucard cleaning thread is my favourite new thread now. XD

Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    I don't recall console RPGs in the '90s generally dipping below $50 at retail. They seemed to never go on clearance and you were lucky to find many of them at all. I don't recall Saturn RPGs being on clearance at retail even when the system was an obvious lost cause to everyone. I was constantly eyeing Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey, and Shining the Holy Ark and they were always the same price and then eventually not on the shelves anymore while other games lingered long enough to end up severely marked down. The same thing was true with Chrono Trigger, which was still at least $50 over two years after it was released (it was still on the shelves at big box retail stores in my area when Kirby's Dreamland 3 was out; which was the last SNES game).

You pretty much had to go to a second-hand store and hope they had an RPG you wanted (or any at all) and they were often still expensive when you could actually find them used . . . which is why I only had a few RPGs during those times. I was collecting for Saturn right after it died and I had little luck finding Saturn RPGs I could afford (used or new) besides Shining Wisdom. This is also why I would blind buy stuff like Arcana on the SNES; it wasn't super easy to find, but was inexpensive used when I saw it.

One could assume by the label/box/manual/disc artwork what might be an RPG by obvious fantasy/medieval/anime elements depicted. However, it was difficult to be informed unless you were picking up gaming magazines regularly and also collected back issues (and a lot of magazines didn't really bother much with covering Saturn RPGs, though GameFan was an exception). Some were lucky to have the internet during the '90s, though I didn't get it until '99. That was my experience in the Midwest at least. Others might've had more luck at retail, but I can't imagine many/any Saturn RPGs had big enough print runs for it to be super easy. A lot of such games didn't seem to be bought much in the first place to be resold enough to help your chances.
    much the same out here, man! id watch stuff like Lufia 2 stay around $70 hoping for a drop, and it'd just disappear instead.
    always kick myself for passing on the saturn, but even the friends i knew with it at the time never really saw the big ones (MKR, PDS etc) heavily discounted.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Genesis started out an underdog but ended the generation very strong. Sega just overstretched themselves for the amount of stuff they were trying to support and it wound up bankrupting them. All the stuff they put out had to not only sell well, but in many cases carve out a new niche as well.

It's been hashed out many times, but the 32X shouldn't have been released and if possible during development the SegaCD should have been given a color palette upgrade to match the SNES at least. Plus, continue to support the Genesis/CD while the Saturn was building up steam. Their abandonment of the one solid moneymaking product they had just to focus on the future helped deplete their coffers even faster. Dreamcast did quite well considering how the deck was stacked against it going into release.
    i do dig my 32x, but agreed with all of this, well said.

Was this posted here? AmyS at GAF posted it, from 'Intelligent Gamer'

What the hell is Serpent's Kiss?

Thanks for posting this here.