Page 143 of 193 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

  1. #1421
    Senior Member storino03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Michigan
    Posts
    8,237
    Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    I never owned a Genesis, so I never cared (though it was the first console I asked my parents to get me for Christmas). Having a Nintendo biased magazine was a good thing in my opinion. I was more drawn to magazines that had more of a specific focus or personality, which I didn't get from GamePro/EGM/etc. GameFan is the only gaming magazine I enjoyed that wasn't focused on a single console, company, or theme (mostly because they gave the Saturn, imports, and anime plenty of coverage . . . I loved their Resident Evil strategy guides as well). I'm not one for console/brand exclusivity, so I prefered reading multiple differently biased magazines over something more well-rounded with little identity (such magazines were often around 50% ads and the rest consisting of content covered in every other gaming magazine . . . along with boring/bad layouts and overall design).
    Seems like eating your words...

  2. #1422
    Senior Member mandy_moorehol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    KoalaWalla Land
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Dragon Magazine was pretty damn good. Sometimes they did cover video games too, but only really rpgs, as one would expect.
    Another one I'm only vaguely aware of and don't recall seeing in the wild!

  3. #1423
    Senior Member mandy_moorehol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    KoalaWalla Land
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Seems like eating your words...
    I'm not sure what your point is. I was exclusive to Nintendo during the 8/16-bit era due to generally not being exposed to the Master System/Genesis outside of a few games one could try at retail and one friend with a Genesis in comparison to all my other friends with Nintendo consoles (and my efforts to change that didn't work out for me).

    However, I've greatly enjoyed the Saturn and Dreamcast, as well as maybe around half of Nintendo and Sony's consoles (and I always loved SNK fare at arcades for as long as I can remember and quite a bit of older PC games). My major bias is in my disinterest in Xbox and reluctance to go back to PC gaming (though I will buy a 360 and a new PC sooner than later anyway).
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 08-27-2016 at 05:11 PM.

  4. #1424
    Senior Member Missile!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    The obvious and expectable bias from Nintendo Power was 15 kinds of obvious.
    Maybe, but i've seen them give some pretty big coverage on some very obscure games, like Shantae for example.

  5. #1425
    Senior Member Gypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Moat of Pain
    Posts
    19,308
    Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    Another one I'm only vaguely aware of and don't recall seeing in the wild!
    I've acquired some locally at the book store but the best way to get bulk has been lots on Ebay. The really early issues are overpriced, so eff em. I do want to get the archive disc at some point.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

  6. #1426
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Dragon Magazine was pretty damn good. Sometimes they did cover video games too, but only really rpgs, as one would expect.
    They actually covered quite a range of games. Later issues also have book reviews (lots of fantasy, of course) and board game reviews.

  7. #1427
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,454
    I rarely got many mags. Sega Visions since it was free and Nintendo Power in the late 90s when I got a N64. NP was free as well since there were phone bundles you could get with Zelda 64 and MM to get the premium editions, plus guides, plus a bonus and they threw in the NP subscription as well. Occasionally I could bug my Mom to get me an EGM at the grocery store, but it was rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

  8. #1428
    Senior Member PhantomSentry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,647
    You never made the argument that she could spend $20 and not have you bother her for another year rather than spending $5 here and there, which adds up?

  9. #1429
    Senior Member Best1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Interstellar Funk Space Station
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    You never made the argument that she could spend $20 and not have you bother her for another year rather than spending $5 here and there, which adds up?
    That's the salesman's mentality that I would have love to had back in the day haha

  10. #1430
    Senior Member storino03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Michigan
    Posts
    8,237
    I was never into magazines growing up. I kind of hated going to my friend's house because all we did was play video games (wasn't into video games that much as a kid, even though I had NES/Genesis growing up).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •