Page 19 of 193 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Atlus didn't want to license out Growlanser after we proved there was a market for the series here. The US side had told Japan it wasn't fit for the US for years - it's one of the problems we accidentally created in the process, by going direct to Atlus Japan and asking to license it, we inadvertantly made Atlus US look bad/wrong, and it came back to bite us when we had the problem with Sony that required us to bundle the two together. Even though it became a single SKU, we had to pay double royalties on it.

Even so, I still wanted to do both of those, but Atlus was done licensing it. Of course, with the financial issues of Index now, maybe they're more interested in the money from a license done well and would reconsider...I don't know.
    Their halfhearted efforts on the localization almost makes me think that it's a sore issue for someone and they have to prove a point. Completely blows my mind that they would strip voice acting from a game to save money... I can't believe that anyone found that to be acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Their halfhearted efforts on the localization almost makes me think that it's a sore issue for someone and they have to prove a point. Completely blows my mind that they would strip voice acting from a game to save money... I can't believe that anyone found that to be acceptable.
    Too bad there are only a small few who think that

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to try and toss a request up to Index for the PSP Growlanser I
    Frankly at this point I'm not super-interested in filling in the blanks on a series that another publisher wants to cherry pick for themselves when the fancy strikes them. It's not fair to the fans, either, who get wildly inconsistent localization as a result.

Of course, I would probably make an exception for the Tales series, if the relationship was right.

Frankly at this point I'm not super-interested in filling in the blanks on a series that another publisher wants to cherry pick for themselves when the fancy strikes them. It's not fair to the fans, either, who get wildly inconsistent localization as a result.

Of course, I would probably make an exception for the Tales series, if the relationship was right.
    That would be refreshing considering how dubious NB has been with Tales. If you could get the Vita remakes that would make a lot of fans happy.

I'd very very happy with the psp games as well... but yea.... total pipe dream I know ;-)

Atlus didn't want to license out Growlanser after we proved there was a market for the series here.
    Seems like a big problem in the long term. I always got the impression that Working Designs was screwed over by its own success. As an independent publisher that fishes the market for viable candidates for localization that everyone assumed weren't worth a second glance, suddenly other publishers start to see "hey, this actually works" once things turn out well. And as a result subsequent games that would have otherwise been perfect for WD to snatch get picked up by bigger fish or are just handled internally, shrinking the potential pool of games for the company that actually proved it could be done in the first place. Gone horribly right, as it were. Even Atlus isn't immune. After Disgaea surprised everyone they lost out on the sequels. Seems like the real diamonds in the rough were more common back in the 90s. I don't know if it's just my tastes changing but I haven't seen anything from Atlus or NIS that has interested me since, well, Disgaea.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 05-28-2013 at 01:29 AM.

Too bad many series these days would fall under that label
    It would be cool if Gaijinworks could bring over some more rpgs

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Seems like a big problem in the long term. I always got the impression that Working Designs was screwed over by its own success. As an independent publisher that fishes the market for viable candidates for localization that everyone assumed weren't worth a second glance, suddenly other publishers start to see "hey, this actually works" once things turn out well. And as a result subsequent games that would have otherwise been perfect for WD to snatch get picked up by bigger fish or are just handled internally, shrinking the potential pool of games for the company that actually proved it could be done in the first place. Gone horribly right, as it were. Even Atlus isn't immune. After Disgaea surprised everyone they lost out on the sequels. Seems like the real diamonds in the rough were more common back in the 90s. I don't know if it's just my tastes changing but I haven't seen anything from Atlus or NIS that has interested me since, well, Disgaea.
    That's why we usually had a right of first refusal for US localization rights to sequels, prequels, side stories in the contracts. Didn't do that for Growlanser just to get the deal done, and it screwed us over. Still, I wouldn't have done Growlanser V because it sucked real bad, so at least you got that.

That's why we usually had a right of first refusal for US localization rights to sequels, prequels, side stories in the contracts. Didn't do that for Growlanser just to get the deal done, and it screwed us over. Still, I wouldn't have done Growlanser V because it sucked real bad, so at least you got that.
    What led to WD not bringing over the first Growlanser before 2 and 3?

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    What led to WD not bringing over the first Growlanser before 2 and 3?
    I wouldn't mind seeing the PSP version of the game.

It might have been weird to make a PSX game back when the Generations set was released though; especially considering the fact that WD was already getting hosed on that one. Two games was bad, but three would have been even worse, I'd imagine. The PSOne was discontinued around the same time as the Generations release in December 2004.