Page 2 of 193 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    The battle was lost at that point. It was clear they were exiting console more than a year before they did. Someone commented at the E3 where they announced Jet Set Radio and had a impressive multi-level booth with trick skaters that SEGA was "back", and I told them it was a facade and SEGA was already dead because I knew they were well into the exit strategy. They were stunned.

I posted online that SEGA already had Crazy Taxi, Seaman, and some other title underway on PlayStation like 18 months before it was public, and that SEGA was exiting the business of consoles, and fanboys blasted me for being a liar or whatever, and then, *surprise*, two of the three were released (Seaman was cancelled or the license not completed, I don't know what happened to it) as I said, and SEGA exited consoles.
    Ahh just like campfire stories :P I love these history lessons.

Got any more stories? like how different the industry was during the Sega CD/T16 CD era in contrast to the WD's golden age and its last years?

So in actuality Moore was brought in to oversee the transition to third-party, and was just really good at looking aggressive in trying to save the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    Ahh just like campfire stories :P I love these history lessons.

Got any more stories? like how different the industry was during the Sega CD/T16 CD era in contrast to the WD's golden age and its last years?
    They would be better if I could keep details like JSR/JSRF straight.

While we're reminiscing (and since the thread topic has already been addressed anyway)...

How far along was the WD translation of Grandia before the licensing went all pear-shaped, and do you have any particular highlights of it you can share? (I can only imagine what you had in mind for that ending...)

Quote Originally Posted by PW_Patrick View Post
    So in actuality Moore was brought in to oversee the transition to third-party, and was just really good at looking aggressive in trying to save the platform.
    I just know that it became clear to Japan that Bernie and his right-hand-practically-techno-illiterate harpie-gargoyle were killing the 3rd party business and the console business at large, and they had to do something. Did they know they were hiring Moore to make that console-3rd party transition and not to try to save the Dreamcast? I don't know that part.

Interesting. If they brought in Moore for that purpose (and let him know it), he certainly has a good poker face. Dude made me feel really good about being a Dreamcast owner right up to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    They varied sometimes. Here's a pic of a couple pages from 2 of the 10 or so binders I have with alphas, betas, etc in them:

Attachment 57

The SEGA CD/TG binders aren't as easily accessible, so these are PS era ones (including pre-Vanguard Bandits discs that still say Detonator Gauntlet)
    Very cool! Yes, the Popful Mail beta that was up looked just like two of the Alundra ones in the upper right, with the black/white silk-screening on them and the TDK logo at the bottom. The Popful Mail one was on a 63 min/550 MB CDR though, it's even dated 12/20/94 and says "BETA" in the Archive No area and "#8" in the Content area on the disc.

These must have just been discs you had purchased off the shelf (at some expense I've bet for the 90s!) for use by Working Designs. I have an official Sega Mega-CDR and they're quite interesting to see, I'm guessing they were mainly only used for official Sega releases and such though.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Very cool! Yes, the Popful Mail beta that was up looked just like two of the Alundra ones in the upper right, with the black/white silk-screening on them and the TDK logo at the bottom. The Popful Mail one was on a 63 min/550 MB CDR though, it's even dated 12/20/94 and says "BETA" in the Archive No area and "#8" in the Content area on the disc.

These must have just been discs you had purchased off the shelf (at some expense I've bet for the 90s!) for use by Working Designs. I have an official Sega Mega-CDR and they're quite interesting to see, I'm guessing they were mainly only used for official Sega releases and such though.
    The branded SEGA Mega CDRs were a lot more expensive, so we used them more sparingly, but if I pulled one of the SEGA CD era binders, you'd see plenty of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PW_Patrick View Post
    While we're reminiscing (and since the thread topic has already been addressed anyway)...

How far along was the WD translation of Grandia before the licensing went all pear-shaped, and do you have any particular highlights of it you can share? (I can only imagine what you had in mind for that ending...)
    We never got into the translation at large. Sony came in with big money and we bowed out, and waited for the release when they torpedoed the game's sales with a half-assed localization.

As someone who holds that game as the peak of the genre (if not the greatest game of all time), that hurts on numerous levels. A Working Designs version would have been glorious.

Page 2 of 193 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast