Page 3 of 193 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

  1. #21
    Senior Member Fabrizo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,176
    Grandia was such a shame. I played a little of the Saturn version after beating it on PS1, and was surprised at how much better some things looked. The initial town iirc had shadows cast from the buildings, the ground textures actually made sense (the metal parts went around buildings and the stone was used like paths, on PS1 they were completely random), much better water effects (saturn games often had nice looking water for some reason), full 3D battle areas, and a few other things.

    Plus the Grandia Digital Museum game which we never got.

  2. #22
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    Grandia was such a shame. I played a little of the Saturn version after beating it on PS1, and was surprised at how much better some things looked. The initial town iirc had shadows cast from the buildings, the ground textures actually made sense (the metal parts went around buildings and the stone was used like paths, on PS1 they were completely random), much better water effects (saturn games often had nice looking water for some reason), full 3D battle areas, and a few other things.
    And back to Bernie Stolar...thank him for not getting the Saturn version in the US. It *would* have happened (probably from WD) if he had not been in charge.

  3. #23
    Senior Member PW_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    And back to Bernie Stolar...thank him for not getting the Saturn version in the US. It *would* have happened (probably from WD) if he had not been in charge.
    Not surprising, still maddening.

    You say "probably" though...were there other localization outfits in the running for that license?

  4. #24
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    Grandia was such a shame. I played a little of the Saturn version after beating it on PS1, and was surprised at how much better some things looked. The initial town iirc had shadows cast from the buildings, the ground textures actually made sense (the metal parts went around buildings and the stone was used like paths, on PS1 they were completely random), much better water effects (saturn games often had nice looking water for some reason), full 3D battle areas, and a few other things.

    Plus the Grandia Digital Museum game which we never got.
    Yeah, Game Arts did some awesome stuff. In fact, I personally enjoy Iwadare's music on Grandia over Lunar but that might be considered blasphemy by some. It's such a shame that Takeshi Miyaji just passed away too, he will be missed.

  5. #25
    Senior Member PW_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    286
    No, I think Iwadare really came into his own on the Grandia series. End Of The World and the second-disc battle theme (especially if you're lucky enough to hear it in-context the first time you do) are among the greatest tunes I've ever heard in a video game.

  6. #26
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by PW_Patrick View Post
    Not surprising, still maddening.

    You say "probably" though...were there other localization outfits in the running for that license?
    No, we had the inside track, but anything's possible. It was highly likely we would have done it given our long relationship with Game Arts and the fact that we made LUNAR:SSSC Game Arts only #1 chart debut in the US ever.

  7. #27
    Senior Member PW_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    No, we had the inside track, but anything's possible. It was highly likely we would have done it given our long relationship with Game Arts and the fact that we made LUNAR:SSSC Game Arts only #1 chart debut in the US ever.
    Proud to have done my part on that, BTW.

    Would've loved to have gotten to play THAT Grandia. Hopefully there's a remake or such someday...can't believe we're coming up on the 20th anniversary in just a few years.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Up Above, Down Below
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    And back to Bernie Stolar...thank him for not getting the Saturn version in the US. It *would* have happened (probably from WD) if he had not been in charge.
    Hey Vic, do you have any idea where Stolar is working at now?
    Last edited by Tsukoblue; 05-15-2013 at 01:23 AM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member PW_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    286
    McDonald's if there's any justice in the world.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    We never got into the translation at large. Sony came in with big money and we bowed out, and waited for the release when they torpedoed the game's sales with a half-assed localization.
    Speaking of Sony, what was the deal with Arc/Growlanser being forcibly crammed into single releases?

Page 3 of 193 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •