Page 44 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

This thread has really been a great read! I'm a bit new to the forums, so finding this has definitely been a pleasant surprise.

I was curious to know what your stance on PS2 games was, and whether there was any desire to touch games that never really hit the states and release them on the PSN or not. I was curious because I really liked stranger games like Abarenbou Princess (Also Alpha System. Shoji Masuda directed it, so maybe you're aware of it due to working on Oreshika and other things under his repertoire), and while I can see why the gameplay in that title might dissuade people, if there were any PS2 games you do in fact enjoy. I think it's a console I don't really know your two cents on besides the politics of the Sega/Sony hootenanny at the time of its run.

Sorry if something similar to this was already answered.

Quote Originally Posted by cargodin View Post
    This thread has really been a great read! I'm a bit new to the forums, so finding this has definitely been a pleasant surprise.

I was curious to know what your stance on PS2 games was, and whether there was any desire to touch games that never really hit the states and release them on the PSN or not. I was curious because I really liked stranger games like Abarenbou Princess (Also Alpha System. Shoji Masuda directed it, so maybe you're aware of it due to working on Oreshika and other things under his repertoire), and while I can see why the gameplay in that title might dissuade people, if there were any PS2 games you do in fact enjoy. I think it's a console I don't really know your two cents on besides the politics of the Sega/Sony hootenanny at the time of its run.

Sorry if something similar to this was already answered.
    There's plenty of PS2 stuff that got stuck in Japan that I would have liked to have brought out here (hello, Venus and Braves), but the problem was that the people running the show at Sony during that time were not gamers and their influence led directly to WD's close and eventually to the poor PS3 launch. Since they were concerned with volume and graphics, they did not, by and large value the hardcore gamer and niche titles. <- All IMNSHO

So it was hard/impossible for many, many third parties to get stuff approved during that time. We were just unfortunate enough not to have a parent company to tide WD over financially and help get past the roadblock by working through the Japanese side to get approvals through of stuff blocked at SCEA (as a number of small pubs DID).

All that started getting fixed not long after the PS3 launch, but it took until just a couple years before the PS4 for the energy to change completely. As far as I'm concerned, Sony now *feels* like they did around the PS1 just after launch, which is a really good thing. The time from the PS1 launch until just before the PS2 launch, Sony had great energy and the organization was loaded with actual gamers who know games. We're back there again, IMO, and it feels very good. The success that's happening is not an accident. It's directly related to the new energy at Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    There's plenty of PS2 stuff that got stuck in Japan that I would have liked to have brought out here (hello, Venus and Braves).
    Now that's one that one me over on the soundtrack alone(but I think I'll always have a bigger affinity to Seven due to the art style). Would Namco being the developer of the game provide any setbacks in the modern video game market climate? My friend was excited for the PSP port because of the plethora of Tales characters that could join your party, and they're an interesting bunch as far as localization seems to go.

All that started getting fixed not long after the PS3 launch, but it took until just a couple years before the PS4 for the energy to change completely. As far as I'm concerned, Sony now *feels* like they did around the PS1 just after launch, which is a really good thing. The time from the PS1 launch until just before the PS2 launch, Sony had great energy and the organization was loaded with actual gamers who know games. We're back there again, IMO, and it feels very good. The success that's happening is not an accident. It's directly related to the new energy at Sony.
    I remember reading your commentary on that kind of vibe, and it's a really refreshing thing to hear, given the overall pessimistic vibes I seem to get from other more cautious JRPG fans. On that note of Sony, what are your thoughts on Sony selling their stocks in Square Enix? I'm not really writing off that either are doomed because of it, and I think it will give them both more liberties, in the long run, but I'm curious to know what your take on that sort of event is.

Also, thanks for the quick reply!
    Last edited by cargodin; 04-30-2014 at 04:34 AM.

TempestOne
    It's great to finally be able to post here after what seems like... years of this website not being down/, or up. I've been lost on-line fer so long because I don't think any other forum compares to the goers on here. I used to just make snippy, snappy judgements, ''Calls'' on the old forum, wErkin' message board. lol Like... I remember posting once about how annoying and annoying I thought some random person was when the forum was at the height of its popularity. Some people are friggin' awkward and I'm glad I have enough resources to be like... just some guard dog, puppy guarding the forums back then. Now, that I'm done wit/ random, misc. crapola in my life I can spend a bit more time sorta, sort of meandering around more. I just don't like awkward people sometimes. Some cultures find it endearing but I don't think it flies here in America. Laughin'
    -
    I would've loved to have been alive during the Seaga (pretty sure that's how it's spelt) era because I would've been so supportive of the system and its videogames, just stuff like... that. I've been doing weird (rather be weird, than awkward) things like... brushing up on my Elvish that I think some videogames aren't being promoted enough. I like hanging around here a lot. I keep forgetting official is cool... Good lookin. On the forums being up tied and around again. I think if it didn't resurface, I would've pursued a doctorate. LOL

Choko is the most rare. Chongara is also very rare. After that, I'd have to dig out the order spreadsheet to see what the actual quantities were.

Here's the framed set I have of all the watches, so you can see them all...

Attachment 240
    I've been working on collecting the complete set for 4 years now, only need 1 more, Kukuru (if anyone has a spare they'd be willing to sell me I'd be eternally grateful!). Anyway, Vic, I've always been curious about the exact rarity of all the watches. You mention a spreadsheet, have you been able to find the exact breakdown of each watch yet? I would very much appreciate it.

collection.jpg
    I'm almost there with you xelement5x .

I hope Game Arts stops screwing around and finally let Gaijinworks put The Lunar games on PSN

I'd hope the Sega CD versions would end up on there but the PS1 versions would be ok as well

Quote Originally Posted by solaris32 View Post
    I've been working on collecting the complete set for 4 years now, only need 1 more, Kukuru (if anyone has a spare they'd be willing to sell me I'd be eternally grateful!). Anyway, Vic, I've always been curious about the exact rarity of all the watches. You mention a spreadsheet, have you been able to find the exact breakdown of each watch yet? I would very much appreciate it.

collection.jpg
    I'm almost there with you xelement5x .
    Ah! You must have got that Anrietta I saw on ebay just recently. It was mislabeled as a Lieza but I figured someone probably knew what it was because they snapped up the BIN in less than 24 hours.

Good luck, I think you've got the hardest one to find in my opinion. Now it's just waiting for the right one to show up!

TempestOne

i think A good, eAsy wAy of judging rArity for rAndom items is lining them All up, And tossing the A's together. And there's your rAre's list. you're welcome. :)

Makes perfect sense...
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

What was your most successful game? If I were guessing I'd say Lunar on PS1.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.