Page 81 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

oomomomomomomomomk
    Last edited by segamegax4; 08-09-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Saturn was killed off way too soon in the US. I wish we had been able to do the Shooter Megapack (licensed, cancelled after the E3 debacle) and been able to do Tengai 4th Apocalypse and Sakura Taisen (both on the table). It's a shame those will always be in the regret category, but you have to move forward, and who knows, maybe the opportunity to finally do them will come by again?
    I have massive gaming blue balls now.

Back in those days most Saturn games we did were selling like 50,000 units or sometimes a little more. I think SEGA AGES sold the least, which kind of makes sense because it's not in our RPG wheelhouse, but I couldn't believe SEGA wasn't going to do it (which I couldn't believe for a title that's so much about SEGA's own legacy!), so I made it my mission to get it out. Dragon Force sold the most, but it was still less than 100k.
    Sega Ages sold worse than MKR even? That's interesting. And yeah Sega Ages is a great anthology. All the games on it are very fun.

Nope. Never wanted to be a greatest hit package for our RPGs. But I think the threshold was higher than 150k, if I remember right.

We were doing 2-3 releases many years, so 50k units per Saturn game was plenty. That was about 5 million/year in gross sales. At that time during the Saturn we only had maybe 8-10 employees, so we were very small. When we hit the PS, our average sales per RPG went way up.
    I'm sure this mostly had to do with more exposure but, and I do love the Saturn, the PS1 RPGs imho were quite a bit better than the Saturn ones. Especially if taken as a whole, maybe directly comparing some. Alundra > Shining Wisdom, Vanguard Bandits > Dragon Force (maybe some would call this a tie or even in favour of DF, but I love mechs) and then its Lunars + Arc anthology vs MKR and Albert Odyssey. Now, I loved MKR, but that's a blow out in the other direction. It's a shame that Sony made Arc be an anthology by the time they let you do it. I love the release but yeah.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Arc The Lad was a weird situation but so awesome. It's like "So there's this series you never heard of that been around for years in Japan. So here's the whole thing at the same time!"

Awesome for gamers to be sure. It was a hair under $37 a game I believe (sorry Monster Arena, you don't count even though it probably cost something to license) at retail. Which had to suck for Vic. I think the original retail was $110? But I was a teen at the time it came out so anyone that knows better feel free to correct me.

It was in that ballpark and, yes, probably not the best situation for a publisher. But it was just unusual for everyone involved.

Speaking of collections, what was the rationale that went into picking the box art? Was it just whatever game was preferred among the staff? Growlanser is interesting because it has a double sided insert but both sides represent Growlanser II while only half of one represents III.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 07-16-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Saturn games were great to pick from because there were so many great ones in Japan, but it was also REALLY hard to localize them since the Japanese development kit was really obtuse and hard to work with. We were one of the only developers in America actually using the Japanese dev kit (so we could be compatible with the Japanese projects we were localizing and re-programming). Most Saturn developers in the west were using dev kits made by a UK (? I think, it's been a while) company.

We were fans of the games we did, so yeah, we always put our heart and soul into them. And I was (and am) obsessed with making really cool packaging to go with the really cool games, which is why we had foil stamping, glossy manuals, holographic foils, etc. I wanted them to be treasured and look better than all the other Saturn games on a store shelf, just in the box.

Saturn was killed off way too soon in the US. I wish we had been able to do the Shooter Megapack (licensed, cancelled after the E3 debacle) and been able to do Tengai 4th Apocalypse and Sakura Taisen (both on the table). It's a shame those will always be in the regret category, but you have to move forward, and who knows, maybe the opportunity to finally do them will come by again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I have massive gaming blue balls now.
    I am right there with you. It is extremely painful to know what we have missed out on.

Sega Ages sold worse than MKR even? That's interesting. And yeah Sega Ages is a great anthology. All the games on it are very fun.

I'm sure this mostly had to do with more exposure but, and I do love the Saturn, the PS1 RPGs imho were quite a bit better than the Saturn ones. Especially if taken as a whole, maybe directly comparing some. Alundra > Shining Wisdom, Vanguard Bandits > Dragon Force (maybe some would call this a tie or even in favour of DF, but I love mechs) and then its Lunars + Arc anthology vs MKR and Albert Odyssey. Now, I loved MKR, but that's a blow out in the other direction. It's a shame that Sony made Arc be an anthology by the time they let you do it. I love the release but yeah.
    Man Gyspy, making me disagree with you again today, at least on Dragon Force. Vanguard Bandits is very good, DF is great.

Awesome for gamers to be sure. It was a hair under $37 a game I believe (sorry Monster Arena, you don't count even though it probably cost something to license) at retail. Which had to suck for Vic. I think the original retail was $110? But I was a teen at the time it came out so anyone that knows better feel free to correct me.
    Talking about Arc collection costing $110? I will go through my old receipts, but I don't think I paid anywhere near that, though those old babbages thermal receipts may have not lasted.

According to IGN, the MSRP was $73.99.
    Last edited by ramzastrife; 07-16-2015 at 02:30 PM.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

I think I remember Arc being $80-100 range. Likely why I never picked it up back then.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    I am right there with you. It is extremely painful to know what we have missed out on.
    I have to wonder what would have been in that shmup pack.

Man Gyspy, making me disagree with you again today, at least on Dragon Force. Vanguard Bandits is very good, DF is great.
    I'd be flip-flopped on it of course. The plot in Bandits is nothing spectacular but at least it's a bit more than just being there/existing which sums up the Dragon Force plot. I've played through both games 3+ times though, so I'm splitting hairs here...

Talking about Arc collection costing $110? I will go through my old receipts, but I don't think I paid anywhere near that, though those old babbages thermal receipts may have not lasted.

According to IGN, the MSRP was $73.99.
    Yeah the problem with this is there are a lot of conflicting reports now. I found some old info that says 74.99 but also mentions a guide for Arc III that obviously never happened. A friend of mine claimed to have paid $110 for pre-ordering it and that's where I got that price but he is a bit stupid so yeah.

Hopefully Vic sees this and chimes in.

I have to wonder what would have been in that shmup pack.

I'd be flip-flopped on it of course. The plot in Bandits is nothing spectacular but at least it's a bit more than just being there/existing which sums up the Dragon Force plot. I've played through both games 3+ times though, so I'm splitting hairs here...

Yeah the problem with this is there are a lot of conflicting reports now. I found some old info that says 74.99 but also mentions a guide for Arc III that obviously never happened. A friend of mine claimed to have paid $110 for pre-ordering it and that's where I got that price but he is a bit stupid so yeah.

Hopefully Vic sees this and chimes in.
    I am 98% sure I paid $80 or less, and I pre-ordered it. I still have every single one of my old receipts from Babbages and GS, though the thermal may have made them unreadable, I will look through them tonight.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Yeah after 13+ years it's probably unreadable.