Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What untranslated game hurts the most?

The Detective Conan games never made it out of Japan except the one that UK got

Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    Prodigy.. old dialup service before AOL got popular.. message boards there were the best way to talk to likeminded gamers sometimes. That and fanzines!
    I salute you sir.

I kind of wish some of the earlier NIS games made it to the US. We got Rhapsody through Atlus, but apparently that is an entire series. But lets be real here, its got to be the Rance series.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    Wait what? FF IV came out in the early early 1990s. Its a little before my time, but how were you online all the time then. That was at best really early days of dial up, and I can't imagine what was available online was much.
    I had Internet access in the early-mid 90's. Before dedicated dial-up became more popular around 1995-1997, a lot of online services were starting to offer Internet access around 1993-1994. Early browsing was with Mosaic. I can specifically remember using AOL and installing a Winsock on 3.11 to give it an early TCP/IP stack. By 1994 Winsock 2.0 was coming into existence, and by 1995 Windows 95 had built-in TCP/IP support.

Until those dial-up services became unlimited, time had to be rationed by most people. Before that, lots of people used BBS systems as a way to communicate online. There were full online communities not unlike this one, albeit with limited users at any given time. Paid BBS systems usually had the most lines. They all sorta fizzled out by 1995. I remember that Final Fantasy SGI Demo, believed to be FF VII, like it was yesterday.

My earliest web browsing experience probably was in elementary school. I remember going to the library and using Netscape Navigator. I was downloading roms of FF games on NES/SNES (on 1.44MB 3.5" floppy discs) so the capacity was limited in how many I could store and then take home. I even tried to compress it 2x to fit ones like FF5 and FF6 with mixed results.

I also remember later, playing those Yahoo Games online and talking to random strangers (or classmates) during each game. It was kind of neat.

I'll throw in my most recent pain.. the 2nd Unchained Blades game. I really liked the first one, and one would think it to be a relatively easy translation (taking out voicework at least)

It is one of the things that soured me on XSEED, it isn't the first time they've abandoned a series. I still support them when they release stuff I like, but I am out of fanboy mode now.

Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    XSEED...I still support them when they release stuff I like, but I am out of fanboy mode now.
    Same.
    Between their forums being offline for months at a time, their move away from physical media, the Grand Knights History thing (though that one wasn't entirely their fault), etc. they've lost me as a fan. Will still buy games of theirs that interest me, but I wont pay special attention to their releases anymore or be willing to take chances on games just because of the xseed branding.

My first internet experiences really started in 94 with aol. With it still being 100 hours or so, my parents didn't allow me much freedom. I remember being part of a Final Fantasy User Group/Mailing List (though it was later than 94) where the president or whatever he was called, would send us a zipped newsletter. I didn't really know much about games that didn't make it over to the US until PSX/Saturn time. I still relied on gaming magazines for my news. I didn't even know we had missed Final Fantasy games until they announced VII. Hell my parents didn't even get "broadband" (128kbs!) until I was in college (2005), but I did use the internet during high school and college to read about some stuff.

Even though SFIII parts 2 and 3 did receive fan translations, they still hurt that they were never localized. I remember reading about the games, and they were easily in my most anticipated titles, iirc they were announced not long after the Saturn released. So I was anticipating those titles from 95 or 96.

Dragon Force II hurt as well just because the first was so amazing. Supposedly the fan translation is still chugging along.

Tengai Makyou hurts, but I didn't learn about it until the remake of Ziria on Xbox 360 around 2005. It baffles me that only the gba spin-off has been fan translated.

The Trails in the Sky series is pretty painful too. The first was so good imo, and we are getting SC sure, but there are still 5 that have been released in Japan beyond SC, and we will likely never catch up.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

TempestOne
    I remember just having e-mail one day, with new computers...

For the most part, I am pretty happy to totally happy with my S.N.E.S. library and so what if we didn't get like a cool game, though it looked the coolest and the most tantalizing from the magazine scans. Man, the item alchemy they were describing seemed so cool, and I was waiting to get through that summer hoping it'd make it over to our shores. I am still looking to pick it up one day. Er, this is in regards to Star Ocean from like the 90's.

Didn't Clock Tower get a game because I remember it being on demo sleeves, and we're pretty good about just finishing the projects, yeah...? I liked that game, too. During the PlayStation I couldn't complain at all and I was all quiet in my home for years playing video games. One of my favorites eras of gaming because I was just getting started. Couldn't complain on the PlayStation 2, either.

I think I started using the net around '97 when my school got new computers. (replacing the DOS ones). I still have the old computer (DOS based) my Mom put together that used to connect up to the net back in the day.

Just hearing the term "dial up' and/or "aol" makes me shudder and glad by the time I started using the internet it was archaic and merely legends told of a long by gone era, when the oceans still drank Atlantis.

Unchained. God Dammit, don't bring that up, I am still ticked we only got a crappy digital only release. WTF, that game looked awesome.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast