Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLC- What Do You Like?

DLC- What Do You Like?

DLC can be fun and exciting. It can also be pointless. In regards to RPGs, what do you like for DLC? Extra story? Costumes? The abilitiy to buy levels and money without grinding? Weapons? Avatars? Something else?

What would be the best DLC you've played in a game to date? If you could make up your own DLC, what would your ideal DLC be?

Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    DLC can be fun and exciting. It can also be pointless. In regards to RPGs, what do you like for DLC? Extra story? Costumes? The abilitiy to buy levels and money without grinding? Weapons? Avatars? Something else?

What would be the best DLC you've played in a game to date? If you could make up your own DLC, what would your ideal DLC be?
    Free on disc DLC is the best DLC. ;-)

Expansion-type DLC. DLC that adds actual content (new stages, new missions, new areas) to go through.

DLC that merely allows you to spend cash to level your character (such as buying those things in Rainbow Moon) or new/different costumes, unlock characters, buy new weapons/armor/equipment does not fall, in my view, under the heading of "DLC" (there's no Content there) - it falls under the heading of microtransactions. I cannot support the idea of microtransactions; the entire idea of encouraging someone to spend money, when they've already bought the game, just to unlock something that normally belongs in the "unlockables" rather than "expendatures" category is rather underhanded. The notion of "free to play revenue" is not only a contradiction in terms, but also the very thing that is continuing to encourage the shady practice of putting microtransactions into games.

Give me an expansion. Does not really matter how large it is, as long as it adds new areas, new missions, expands upon the old or provides a new story, and that content provides new gear/skills (as appropriate) possibly new levels. If its going to be DLC it had better be downloadable CONTENT. A shiny sword for $1.99, a set of 1000 ($3.99), 10000 ($7.99), or 1000000 ($39.99) power crystals that get spent to raise my levels are not content and calling them content, or DLC, is false advertising.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by Astroshak View Post
    Give me an expansion.
    That. I care about amount of content though, if it's not a significant expansion on the level with say Broodwar or Throne of Bhaal, I'm not too interested. The only time I've bought DLC so far was because I got the game for less than 1/4th the price, the DLC was done and on sale, and I need it for mods.

I'm in the same boat with you guys. Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of RPGs that follow our line of thought. When I first was introduced to the idea of DLC at the beginning of the PS3 era, I thought the possibilities would be endless. I am a little underwhelmed that we haven't seen more quality DLC. I liked the idea that Final Fantasy XIII-2 had, with character specific DLC that enhanced the story; but I think that their scenarios were weak in execution looking in from the outside (I never bought them, despite the game being my favorite of this generation.)

Some of my favorite DLC is in the non RPG realm. Midnight Club on PS3 had a pretty big map expansion, new vehicles and new missions. Drakengard 3 had overpriced DLC, but it was more along the lines of what I like for DLC. I never played the DLC for GTAIV, but I liked the story expansions they did. Same with Resident Evil 5.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    I'm afraid it's going to be horse armor forever . My problem with DLCs like maps and stuff is that it likely would've been free, or included in an expansion, and it discourages allowing community content creation.

I just got my daughter the Final Fantasy rhythm game and there is more DLC cost than the actual game at 39.99 SMH....I think its mostly a cash grab and refuse to buy it. If they come out with a "Ultimate Edition" with everything included or on disc expansions I am more than happy. Better yet if they just didnt rush the release and made a good game that doesnt need to have DLC or patches that would be great

Free DLC that adds actually missios or stages, and it actually happens in jrpgs unlike other games. Last Remnant and Record of Agarest are two that come to mind that add new areas in free dlc but there are others.

Worst DLC of all time though, Phantasy Star Universe DLC which you had to buy and then pay a monthly subscription for, and then it went off line killing 4 achievements.

I don't mind actual downloadable content. I just don't regard cosmetic things (new costumes, hairstyles, etc.) or new gear as content.

Think of it this way : content is the areas you visit when driving your car, whether it is going to/from work or going off someplace you've never been. Hairstyles, new costumes, even a shiny new sword or gun or piece of armor merely enhance (or alter the appearance of) the vehicle you use to experience that content, they are not content in and of themselves.

DLC as expansion packs :3, that's good enough for me. In some games new costumes or skins in ok but it depends on the genre and of course the price ;P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast