Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DLC- What Do You Like?

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    DLC as expansion packs :3, that's good enough for me. In some games new costumes or skins in ok but it depends on the genre and of course the price ;P
    An expansion pack that consists of three new swords for your party, as well as two new outfits per person, and nothing else, is still not downloadable CONTENT.

Your party or character is the vehicle by which you experience content. Equipment and aesthetics for that vehicle are not content. They may allow you to experience the content in a new way, but they are not content in and of themselves.

TempestOne
    I've always thought DLC is a really inventive way to get in touch with the fans of a certain game, and cater to what they would like to see. Coming off of a DR2 run, it would've been nice to see something like "Free Zombrex coupons" for a flat-fee of just a year or something 'inventive,' you know? And, if it doesn't work because of techno-babble, it's just ask on the forums, haha.

That's the kind of downloadable content I like. The free swords, or a really powerful piece of armor to help you from beginning-end in a game for however much price is another I like to see, too. Just kind of quirky items.

DLC annoys me in general. I know most of it won't be around in the future.
    I really think companies should not charge for many of the things they do. If it is a true expansion or add on stuff (created after the game was done, etc) then I'm ok with it.
    I still don't buy any DLC. I just don't see a reason to yet.

The best thing I've seen lately is Witcher 3 saying that companies should not charge for DLC and they are releasing 12 DLC packs for FREE for every version of the game. Honestly that alone got me interested in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by banditwolf View Post
    DLC annoys me in general. I know most of it won't be around in the future.
    I really think companies should not charge for many of the things they do. If it is a true expansion or add on stuff (created after the game was done, etc) then I'm ok with it.
    I still don't buy any DLC. I just don't see a reason to yet.

The best thing I've seen lately is Witcher 3 saying that companies should not charge for DLC and they are releasing 12 DLC packs for FREE for every version of the game. Honestly that alone got me interested in the game.
    ProjketCD is probably one of the most consumer friendly companies, no DRM, the free DLC, etc. Plus Witcher is an epic series.

TempestOne
    Whoa, the internet works and is starting to work, in general.

Gosh, sometimes I confuse the aspect of DLC & trophies and achievements. I don't think there's anything wrong with the cool costumes or extra laser swords, but it is kind of funny (just the word) that there are the complete, incompleted part of the game available for download... but on the other end of the spectrum, it's just kind of ...cool that's it's available anyway. I haven't treaded too far down that road because I have, like, just a set of PS3 video games I'm working on and the only ones I've noticed with DLC are the action/adventure titles anyway, ie. TombR, Red Dead. It's always unlockable, and I think that's pretty neat just to see down the cursor.

If anything, cool DLC to me regarding RPGs are maybe, the extra locked dungeon after the main-story is finished, like you can buy this but just hold off, 'cause it's cool to. Or, something like I bought this Regenerative Potion that breaks open and heals the party everlasting for just the final last boss only. Something chill and cool like that! :P

The Witcher always looked tight.

This is about paid stuff, because anyone can be lenient if it's free.

Good DLC: MK8, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (EoT).

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale also had an alright character DLC thing going. The week that a new character DLC was announced, you can get it for free before they set a price to it. In a way, it rewarded you for keeping up with the news and interest in the game, while looking at the DLC itself was new characters and move sets (not just recolored skins of preexisting clothing, for example).

Bad, bad DLCrap:

>Clothing and accessories
    $.99-$1.99 for a headband. Do I need to say more?

>Alternate Music
    Pretty much like clothing, not too much bang for your buck with the way it's set up. Rhythm games aside, it doesn't take much time to add a song (especially remixed) to coding for an area.

>Single mission DLC that adds no new area of map whatsoever or much new dialogue beyond that of the mission itself.

Sometimes even, all it is is a 'new' fetch quest with the same mechanics as the others, just using another noun, and you're meant to pay for it?

>Held-back DLC or unlock-the-game DLC
    Content that's on disc. You pay to unlock it. Sometimes, it's something a little extra that they've already had planned from the start; they just hold it back for the extra money potential. Other times, the game on it's own feels like there's some small part missing... Like something should just be there.

I always felt that DLC should add to the experience, but it feels more like many games are made with DLC in mind from the start. "If it's DLC tier put it aside for later", etc. The game's centered around making more money than making more game.

This also includes 'level packs'. Spending for every 5 levels is not fun... Set the price for the whole game and be done with it.

>DLC Crutchs
    Extra HP, levels, coins, gems or 'super attacks/weapons' instantly.

There's also the games that you need to pay to get the game's version of revival herbs. I'm not kidding.

>Do themes really count? If yes, throw those under the 'no' category, too. They should be packaged with the idea of buying the system and/or game. Continued support sorta speak.

>DLC that plays the game for you
    Now, this is just insulting. Buy the game to play it, OR buy the game to pay again so it'll play itself.

Say, Megaman X on the app store. You can pay for full armor X. That's stupid.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I could think of right now.

TempestOne
    I kind of now see or have always seen DLC as those type of coin-operated machinery like you don't have to get this but some people just collect things on a whim.

I'm fine with DLC as long as it isn't obviously cut from the game to be sold separated later. That, or those games that are suspiciously way too grindy/frustrating without DLC items and relics.

I'm somewhat okay with alternate forms and outfits, even though those things used to be unlocked by beating the games or using passwords/cheat inputs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12