Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol Thread

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Fixed the images. Google image sharing on mobile is terrible since they moved everything to that dumb Hangouts and Google+ apps.

Too many fries for me, and that's a small! Not sure how you Europeans are healthier than Americans, eating all of this.
    The fries look a bit too brownish, or it could be bad lighting? They seem a bit overbaked/fried. Also, you don't usually get the fancy holder over here. The sauce is typically put on the fries, not in a separate cup like that. You'll only see that at McDonald's here. In the past they also used to put a lot of salt on the fries by default, but nowadays they leave it off and you need to put it on yourself (because of health concerns and such).

Definitely looks like a small portion to Belgian standards.

Worst offender to authenticity: what's the deal with beer in a plastic cup, lol. Here you only get beer from plastic cups in sports stadiums and on all kinds of festivals, for safety reasons. Also craft beers in a plastic cup you won't see at all. It's sort of blasphemy.

All in all a good job though, and glad to see you had "Belgian". What did your family think of it? Surely they want to visit my country now?

The thing about Belgian/European food is: we don't eat fries on a daily basis. It's like a once in a week thing. And apart from that, we have just one "heavy" meal a day. Breakfast in the States is crazy on calories. All you eat here at breakfast (and often also at lunch) is some yoghurt, or a sandwich (or 2), or some cereals. Pancakes or waffles for example we only eat at kid's parties. It's considered crazy over here to have those for breakfast.
    The real Goldar: "GVC are posers."
    http://i.imgur.com/PI2Ob5H.png

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    My camera is poor on this phone, but they were a little brown. Didn't taste burnt though.

I also questioned them about the plastic cups! They had Trappist glasses sitting on the bar with silly mints in them. I guess that they aren't using glass yet because they just opened the "bar" side with the taps last week. I still will drink St. Bernardus in plastic even though it obviously isn't my first choice, because I have real Belgian beer glassware at home.

Also like Pulp Fiction's "Royale with Cheese" when talking about getting beer in a real glass instead of plastic cups like a lot of places in the US.

My camera is poor on this phone, but they were a little brown. Didn't taste burnt though.

I also questioned them about the plastic cups! They had Trappist glasses sitting on the bar with silly mints in them. I guess that they aren't using glass yet because they just opened the "bar" side with the taps last week. I still will drink St. Bernardus in plastic even though it obviously isn't my first choice, because I have real Belgian beer glassware at home.

Also like Pulp Fiction's "Royale with Cheese" when talking about getting beer in a real glass instead of plastic cups like a lot of places in the US.
    They won't taste burned, they'll just be needlessly crunchy. It's more pleasant and tastier if the interior of the fry is mostly soft.

I'm sure you are aware of this, but there's actually a good reason for the somewhat odd shapes of our beer glassware, especially for craft beer. Depending on the type of beer, it's often because of the foam (we call it the "collar"), but there are some other things at play too. E.g. in a Duvel glass there is like a little crevice at the bottom of the glass, so that you get a sparkling effect in the beer. With a plastic cup like that, you just take that away.

Edit: so are there loads of people out there enjoying the event, or is it just you?
    Last edited by JWiley_12; 07-17-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Yep. That's why I have assorted beer glasses. The right glass for the beer.

The fries were indeed a bit overcooked. I prefer them soft as well.

Not an event at all. Just a Belgian fry stand on my train station that's always there. They just added a bar section.

Yep. That's why I have assorted beer glasses. The right glass for the beer.

The fries were indeed a bit overcooked. I prefer them soft as well.

Not an event at all. Just a Belgian fry stand on my train station that's always there. They just added a bar section.
    Oh, right. But so you'll have access to Belgian draught beer all the time from now on, so I guess that's kind of an event. ;-)

Any Belgians involved in this whole thing or is it an American owned place? (I guess it's hard to tell.)

Edt: I'm asking because you see that stuff abroad once in a while where they do something Belgian and sort of get it all wrong. Like in Amsterdam you have these joints where they serve "Belgische frites". For starters we don't even call it 'frites' (at least not in the Dutch speaking part). Or in Japan you have these waffle shops, typically also at railway stations, called "Manneken" (after the famous Manneken Pis statuette in Brussels), and the waffles they offer there are nowhere near to what we eat over here.
    Last edited by JWiley_12; 07-17-2015 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    It isn't me who's questioning your taste, buddy. It's the G-man who said his "friend has a suspicious taste in games".

Edit: now that I think of it, he could be referring to me too, since the majority of my collection consists of shovelware.
    No no, it's someone I've known for a long time.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    No no, it's someone I've known for a long time.
    So are you saying there's a chance Zborgerd and I have a great taste in games?

Good beer is supposed to be in a wide mouth glass so you can smell it better. It adds a lot to the flavor. There's a reason nobody pours a Bud Light (or any other water beer) into a glass and they also serve it at just slightly above freezing. God forbid the consumer actually know how it tastes.

I've had Budvar before. It's good, but we don't see it too often around here.

The interesting story about that one is the long-standing lawsuit with AB over the Budweiser name. They eventually settled and got easy distribution as Czechvar in the states. It's a far better beer than American Budweiser is. Not even a contest.
    Its funny. Budweiser, aka the American one, is called that because the founder went to the Czech Republic and crafted the beer based on what he saw in the city of Czech budejovice. That is why he named it BUD weiser. But of course the city had its own manufacturer who named the beer after the city as well. The issue was over who had claim to it, and I think they settled with America getting the US and the Czech one getting Europe and I think Asia. But funny story.

Hey I am in Japan, I drink Beers and Play games and I also Smoke Hookah. Im looking for the Hookah and Drinkers in Japan thread !? LOL Directions please

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast