Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Square Trolls again releasing a port of the pc version of FF7 on the ps4.

Square Trolls again releasing a port of the pc version of FF7 on the ps4.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-spring/.81858

So instead of an actually remake we get crap like FF 13, a bunch of rereleases of KH 1, 2, and FF X, and now a port of a decade old game.

Easy money.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    They hardly ever do anything substantial anymore. They are essentially surviving off of the games that they made nearly 30 years ago. I honestly don't think that they are up to the task of making good games in-house anymore, and wouldn't really trust them with a remake of anything from the PS1 or later. Their HD versions are little more than exactly what the name implies; HD updates of the same games.

It's funny that you mention this though. I was considering posting a thread on remakes done right. Every time I see the FF IV Complete Collection, I'm in awe that they managed to create such a fine update for the game. It's simply beautiful, and preserves all of what made the game great without completely destroying it. Maybe because Bullets, the company behind Kenka Bancho, was involved.

Maybe it really does prove the theory that they can't do anything in-house anymore. FF X HD was outsourced to Virtuos. Bravely Default was made by Silicon Studio. Everything else that is notable within the past decade has been from Tri-Ace, Cavia, and others.

Quote Originally Posted by banditwolf View Post
    Easy money.
    Not sure why anyone would buy this but you are probably right.

@Zborg: The PSP has the definitive version of a lot of games tbh.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

All of the games you mentioned have still sold a good number of copies. I wonder if they are simply looking at it that way. Put out an old game with minimal effort (even if it's a remaster it's just updating graphics) and people will buy it again. Now I'd sure like to see an amazing game from them I don't expect it anymore. So far I have no interest in FFXV.

My heart skipped a beat when I read it on ign but then I saw its just a port with virtually no graphical enhancements. Waste

At first i thought it was a remake, then i saw the old gameplay :/

Personally, i'm not a SE fan as much as i was Squaresoft and it's too bad because they used to make good games.

Apparently this version of the game will also be based off of the PC versions port... ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    They hardly ever do anything substantial anymore.
    Japan is their home market. They mainly produce anything with their home market in mind first, like most Japanese game devs/publishers. In the past 2 or so years the mobile market has been on fire over there, so they have been heavily focused on that.

All these other releases (consoles and PC ones) are usually just afterthoughts and probably mainly meant to at least give the impression that they are still producing "something" for other platforms. And sure, it helps that all that cheaply produced stuff actually sells. So definitely easy money. But the relative drought in "substantial" console games is also the result of that shift of focus, I think.

Having said that, the lack of creativity/talent at their own studios is something that´s been noticeable for a longer period already. A flagship series like Final Fantasy has not delivered anymore for over 10 years now. So they could definitely use some new blood, preferably also at a managerial level.

Finally, they wouldn´t get away with it and it wouldn´t be ´easy money´ if people wouldn´t buy all these cookiecutter efforts. So DON´T BUY those lazy HD updates. DON´T BUY all their overpriced LEs. Because if you do, you know they´ll keep coming back with even less value.

Type 0 has me interested more

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast