Thread: Mobile Game Discussion (iOS/Android only)

Mobile Game Discussion (iOS/Android only)

So I have a high end Android tablet, and now I finally delved into the iOS territory with the iPhone 6 Plus.

While Android is catching up, often times getting the same game releases on iOS (eventually), there are a few I'd like to mention:

Oceanhorn: $8.99
    211MB
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ocea...708196645?mt=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyUT...WAkNCMp8ydf5gA

What initially caught my eye was the art direction and music compositions. Some of which are from Mana and Final Fantasy series fame. Right down to it, is a Zelda-style adventure RPG and it has recently been updated to support the ultra resolutions on the new iOS devices.

Dragon Quest series I, II, III, IV, V, and VI ($2.99 and up)
    25.5MB+
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drag...911201894?mt=8

Dragon Quest VIII ($19.99)
    1.4GB
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...play.dq8&hl=en

This isn't a perfect port; it has been downgraded for mobile devices. It lacks the great voice acting on the PS2, and the way the screenshots look, I think it's stuck on portrait mode.

Other mentions: Chrono Trigger seemed like a perfect port on iOS when I tried it, same with Secret of Mana and Vay. Small touches have been made to make it more input friendly, or even lowering the difficulty (as in Vay). Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy was also ported to iOS and it runs well. I think the paid DLC is more in your face than on 3DS (where I think it was just timed unlocks).

In most cases, you can sync a bluetooth gamepad to your device for hands-free and dedicated controls. I haven't tried this method yet, but it's something to think about for those who don't like touch-screen only control schemes. Like it or not, mobile gaming is here to stay and the games are equaling dedicated gaming platforms like a mofo.

There are three categories of mobile games now. Shovelware/Freemium/Premium. Ones that are simple, basic, and there just for minimalistic style and gameplay, freemium where the game thrives on paid DLC to expand the game with useless add-ons (with the offset that the game is initially free to play), and then others like Premium where the developers are devoted to putting out the best product possible while not requiring money to complete a game. I think games like Oceanhorn and Infinity Blade series show what developers can do with a platform when they put their minds to it.

Vic, have you thought about eventually getting into iOS/Android development?
    Last edited by storino03; 12-19-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    So I have a high end Android tablet, and now I finally delved into the iOS territory with the iPhone 6 Plus.

While Android is catching up, often times getting the same game releases on iOS (eventually), there are a few I'd like to mention:

Oceanhorn: $8.99
    211MB
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ocea...708196645?mt=8

What initially caught my eye was the art direction and music compositions. Some of which are from Mana and Final Fantasy series fame. Right down to it, is a Zelda-style adventure RPG and it has recently been updated to support the ultra resolutions on the new iOS devices.

Dragon Quest series I, II, III, IV, V, and VI ($2.99 and up)
    25.5MB+
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drag...911201894?mt=8

Dragon Quest VIII ($19.99)
    1.4GB
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...play.dq8&hl=en

This isn't a perfect port; it has been downgraded for mobile devices. It lacks the great voice acting on the PS2, and the way the screenshots look, I think it's stuck on portrait mode.

Other mentions: Chrono Trigger seemed like a perfect port on iOS when I tried it, same with Secret of Mana and Vay. Small touches have been made to make it more input friendly, or even lowering the difficulty (as in Vay). Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy was also ported to iOS and it runs well. I think the paid DLC is more in your face than on 3DS (where I think it was just timed unlocks).

In most cases, you can sync a bluetooth gamepad to your device for hands-free and dedicated controls. I haven't tried this method yet, but it's something to think about for those who don't like touch-screen only control schemes. Like it or not, mobile gaming is here to stay and the games are equaling dedicated gaming platforms like a mofo.

There are three categories of mobile games now. Shovelware/Freemium/Premium. Ones that are simple, basic, and there just for minimalistic style and gameplay, freemium where the game thrives on paid DLC to expand the game with useless add-ons (with the offset that the game is initially free to play), and then others like Premium where the developers are devoted to putting out the best product possible while not requiring money to complete a game. I think games like Oceanhorn and Infinity Blade series show what developers can do with a platform when they put their minds to it.

Vic, have you thought about eventually getting into iOS/Android development?
    what type of high end android tablet?i would like to know because i might be shopping for one for a relative

Try Detective Grimore and Hitman Go:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dete...740602894?mt=8
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hitm...731645633?mt=8
    The former is an murder mystery type adventure game with beautiful art and some great voice acting, while the latter is a rather stylistic looking version of Go, with some Hitman elements thrown in.

Waaaaait. Is Lunar Silver Star Story Touch forbidden to mention here?
    Cause that game made me buy an iPod touch. And I'm happy about that.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the Dragon Quest iOS releases. Ugly as those pixels may look, they are almost my favorite versions of those games.

Final Fantasy 1 to 4 are perfect to me, as far as iOS goes. 5 and 6 are good. But those graphics. I mean the graphics are OK... just that it's a bad joke. Final Fantasy X gets an HD remake for PS3 and Vita. While Final Fantasy VI gets weird graphics and on iOS. We need a freaking huge remake in FULL 3D with the most advanced technology ever and the best musicians and programers to make Final Fantasy VI on PS4 and make it a 20 million seller. But whatever. I still prefer the iOS remakes of FF5 and 6 over many other games.

I loved the port of Sonic CD, but I can't recommend it too much because of the touch controls.

Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

Not absolute top of the line, but it plays everything I throw at it, besides the Nvidia Ki games.

I've only played a couple of the Kemco games. I really liked them. Everyone complains that they are generic. I can see that, a LITTLE. They mimic old school SNES type RPGS, which were fairly generic themselves. I found the few I've played to have passable stories, good character design and decent enemy design. Alphadia seems to be the big name series, that they brought into 3D and a more PS1 type graphic. I played the first one through and enjoyed it. I also played the free game Machine Knight, which had a great idea for a story. Very unique, but on the device I was using, the game mechanics were very sloppy and clunky. Haven't seen that complaint elsewhere, but I had it. The same developers made Band of Monsters, which I have just started, and it seems to fix those problems (and is also free)

I've been playing Bug Princess Duel on Android, it's a freemium model but still fun enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

I purchased Oceanhorn last night and tried it for an hour. It's quite a polished game! I haven't gotten too much into game mechanics, and as much as I hate touch controls, they get the job done. I can see myself finishing this game.

Btw Steins;gate in English is coming to iOS after the PS3 and Vita versions

Also, if you don't have a PSP definitely buy the IOS version of Corpse Party - I hear it's pretty great