Page 2 of 156 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports thread

Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    American football- Each team has a goal on each side of the 100 yard field. They flip a coin at the beginning of the game to determine who gets the ball. It is then kicked to the team that gets the ball. The receiving team then has to move the ball into their goal line. The game is then split into "downs", where they have 4 attempts to move the ball 10 yards from its beginning position. If they are unable to do so, they give the ball to the other team. If it comes to the fourth down and it looks impossible to make it to the new set of downs, the team will often kick it to ensure their opposing team doesn't get good field position. The defensive team tries to tackle the team and prevent them from moving the ball, but with rules put in place so it isn't carnage and a free for all out there.

The basic scores are as such: 6 points for a touchdown (getting into the end zone), 3 points for a field goal (kicking the ball between the goal posts), 2 points for a safety (tackling the opposing team in your end zone), and either 1 or 2 points for an extra point after the touchdown.

I'd recommend watching the last quarter of this years Super Bowl on youtube for a good football game that was very exciting.

As far as myself, I enjoy College Football, March Madness, and NASCAR (and other auto racing)
    How are the 10 yards from the beginning position of the ball calculated? I know there are these lines on the pitch, but how do they know it's exactly 10 yards?

It's really weird that teams get rewarded for defensive play (i.e. points for tackling)

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Play Tecmo Superbowl for the NES. It will teach you everything you need to know about US football.
    AMAZING POST. A+

Btw Wiley, baseball is weird and it's not for everyone. You aren't wrong in that it's slow paced. There is no clock so a longer game w/o extra innings can take a long time, given certain conditions. Like 3+ hours. MLB is actually thinking about implementing steps to improve this. Oh and trust me thinking about implementing is a huge step as the sport is ran by dinosaurs who scoff at the mere concept of change.

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    How are the 10 yards from the beginning position of the ball calculated? I know there are these lines on the pitch, but how do they know it's exactly 10 yards?

It's really weird that teams get rewarded for defensive play (i.e. points for tackling)
    Markers on chains that are exactly 10 yards in length.

Points for tackling? Lol no. It's just a tracked statistic.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

So you need extra referees to adjust those markers all the time?

And do you or don't you get points for "a safety" (tackling in the end zone)? :-)

Baseball is ok. I much rather listen to it on radio really.

@daylight: Hard to explain. I had Daytona on, still didn't care about it. Too much chit chat and stupid things that still bug me. "How do you want to do in the race today?" DUH!! Plus they penalize certain drivers harshly and others not at all. I can't see caring much about it again.
    *And most drivers I like don't race anymore.
    Last edited by banditwolf; 02-25-2015 at 05:32 PM.

And do you or don't you get points for "a safety" (tackling in the end zone)? :-)
    Yes.

You do but...think of that as an own goal.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Sadly it was never released in Europe.

Oh, and I don't own a NES. :-)
    Emulate it!

Oops. Did I say that?

I don't actually even like sports, and I still think that Tecmo Bowl up there with some of the greatest NES games ever made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwAtZpcfXHk

Actually, there was a European arcade release of the original. The arcade version was not nearly as good as the home versions though, outside of the dual monitors.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 02-25-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Safeties are fairly rare, to be a little more clear. By far the least common score, but it does happen here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by banditwolf View Post
    Baseball is ok. I much rather listen to it on radio really.

@daylight: Hard to explain. I had Daytona on, still didn't care about it. Too much chit chat and stupid things that still bug me. "How do you want to do in the race today?" DUH!! Plus they penalize certain drivers harshly and others not at all. I can't see caring much about it again.
    *And most drivers I like don't race anymore.
    What drivers did you like? I miss seeing Earnhardt, Kyle Petty, and some others on the track. But I've followed it since 1991 and don't plan on stopping anytime soon! I also tire of the pre-race BS, I usually turn it on right when the flag drops.

Safeties are fairly rare, to be a little more clear. By far the least common score, but it does happen here and there.
    Yeah it's such a rare method of scoring that it's hard to actually compare it to anything else.

The own goal comparison was more of a commentary about how it's the offensive team messing up.

What drivers did you like? I miss seeing Earnhardt, Kyle Petty, and some others on the track. But I've followed it since 1991 and don't plan on stopping anytime soon! I also tire of the pre-race BS, I usually turn it on right when the flag drops.
    Those two, Michael Waltrip and Kerry Earnhardt. Only current one is Jr and rarely MW. Not sure when I really started watching but early 90's. I stopped a few years ago. I dunno, just haven't been able to get back into it. Still enjoy NHRA. I just wish the shows didn't air at 1-3AM half the time.

Page 2 of 156 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast