Page 1 of 203 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Youtube channels / podcasts worthy of our time

Youtube channels / podcasts worthy of our time

I just ran into this retro game channel I had never heard of on Youtube, from a guy called "Banjo Guy Ollie".

In a new series called "The MSX Mansion" he discusses some of MSX's greatest. Here are the first 2 episodes. Definitely worth your while if you're even somewhat interested in MSX.
    King's Valley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyDB-eg0vtA
    Knightmare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgwp7lciS0

Aaaaanyway, that brought me to making this thread. What are the gaming related Youtube channels you follow up upon or are subscribed to? Or do you mainly listen to gaming podcasts?

My own selection:
    - For games reviews I regularly check CGR.
    - I've also seen quite a bit of episodes of The Game Chasers. I would love to be able to go to flee markets over here and find some stuff. Doesn't even have to be super rare, but all you find over here is PS2 shovelware. Or nothing at all.
    - There's also Luke Morse. He has some informative videos on Japanese culture, does pick up videos and also repair videos of old gaming hardware.
    - Strafefox does very coolly stylized overview videos of different games, game series and/or systems.
    - Metal Jesus Rocks. Not a huge fan of this guy. But he tackles a great deal of systems. His videos are interesting imo if you're completely new to a system and want to get the know the basics about it and its library.
    - Game Sack. A bit like Metal Jesus.
    - Jim Sterling. I watch the Jimquisition. Not for everyone, I guess.
    Last edited by JWiley_12; 03-02-2015 at 05:28 AM.

Since this doesn't appear to only be for gaming, my favorite that still exists.
    Hubblecast HD - Nicely done short bits on Astronomy. (podcast) I really don't Youtube.
    Last edited by banditwolf; 02-26-2015 at 12:21 AM.

The only retro gaming show I can really say I have watched multiple episodes of is Game Sack.

My positive opinion of the show was bolstered even more when I met Joe a while ago with some other friends and we all played some games together for awhile. Definitely a cool and knowledgeable guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    The only retro gaming show I can really say I have watched multiple episodes of is Game Sack.

My positive opinion of the show was bolstered even more when I met Joe a while ago with some other friends and we all played some games together for awhile. Definitely a cool and knowledgeable guy.
    Doesn't he hang with you and all of the other riffraff on PCEFX? (I jest because my PCEFX account is probably a decade old now).

I like Game Sack. I think it's one of Youtube's best gaming shows.

So you know a Youtube celebrity... :-)

I can imagine him being a knowledgeable guy, but I wouldn't mind their game videos being a bit more in depth. Allthough I have to admit I only recently saw a couple of their videos.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    I don't watch much on Tubes, I've got nothing to recommend. The DnD podcasts Wizards does are usually fun.

Basically any MTGO video sets from LSV.

I mean seriously LSV is the best.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Basically any MTGO video sets from LSV.

I mean seriously LSV is the best.
    CFB and SCG videos are in the majority of what little Tubes I watch .

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    I watch many of the same shows as JWiley. I have lots of subscriptions to YouTube gaming shows. Here are several others.

- Arcade Impossiible: Guy amasses a basement full of arcade machines. This is his tale.

- John's Arcade: Another guy (his friend, in fact) amasses a basement full of arcade machines. This is also his tale. Vic and JJJJJJJJJJJJS would be jealous.

- Avalanche Reviews: Some guy who is probably a badass in real life, but also seems like one of the nicest dudes at the same time. Likes RPGs, especially PS1, and obscure PC stuff. Something tells me that he used to be an old Working Designs board member back in the day but I haven't confirmed it.

- BeatEmUps: Australian guy who thinks that he looks like Thor, goes game hunting with friends. Goes to the USA to visit friends and Portland Retro and then stops doing videos. I think he's selling his collection and moving to Canada. Still cool to see retro game pickups from down under. They've had some entertaining episodes.

- Retro Liberty: Different content every few days. Best is NES Pursuit, from which they based the channel originally. West-coast hipsters head out to the dirt mall for some game hunting. Sometimes come back with some pretty good finds.

- Super Derek: Really nice dude with crazy hair reviews RPGs, including those from WD. Just did Lunar 2 last week.

- RetrowareTV: Things have been slow at Retroware lately, buy I highly suggest checking out the Videogame Years. Really great episodic series on the history of videogames. Show features lots of people from the links mentioned here, as well as some people who helped to build the industry in the '80s and '90s.

- Retsuprae: Not a "let's play". A Retsuprae. Two guys parody other people's let's plays. Think MST3k for gaming.

- Stop Skeletons from Fighting: Ex-Happy Videogame Nerd. Also a fan of a few Working Designs games. Possibly even a member of these forums. Hmm...

- Pete Dorr: Collecting and let's plays. He streams NISA stuff on Twitch from time to time so Gypsy should subscribe if he ever gets real Intarweb.

- Gamester 81: Guy who sounds like lead singer from Type O Negative has as much random retro gaming stuffed into his apartment as Lukemorse, and also has a show about it.

- Jimmy Hapa: Import Gaming FTW: Occasional import game collecting videos. Just did a brief PCE video. Recently cameo'd on Super Derek.

- Happy Console Gamer: Not to be confused with Happy Videogame Nerd... Or the angry one for that matter. "Johnny Millennium" talks about Y's all day.

- JonTron: Ex-Game Grumps funnyman has his own show with evil parrots.

- NES Complex: Once the inspiration for lots of YouTube collectors, now uploads a Youtube video once a year, but it usually is good. Usually cameos on newer shows.

- Retro Blasting: Toy collecting and restoration. I don't collect toys, but my 5 year old does. Why do I watch it? Because 80's toys kick ass. If you don't like Transformers, Voltron, or GI Joe (or Action Force for JWiley) GTFO!

Podcasts:

- ClanOfTheGrayWolf: Kinda entertaining bi-weekly podcast about gaming. Live show tonight on the length of games, relative to price and replayability: http://clanofthegraywolf.com/echo-sc...o-game-length/

- All Gen Gamers Podcast: Metal Jesus Rocks, Pete Dorr, and others, talk about gaming.

- Completely Unecessary Podcast: Pat the NES Punk and his friend Ian talk about games, news, and wrasslin! Also has a video version on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/PatTheNESpunk/featured
    Last edited by zborgerd; 02-26-2015 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    - Stop Skeletons from Fighting: Ex-Happy Videogame Nerd. Also a fan of a few Working Designs games. Possibly even a member of these forums. Hmm...
    My bet is on Gypsy. :P

Impressive list, btw. I'm never going to find the time to watch all of these.

I've also seen some videos by Peter Dorr, now that you mention him. And Gamester81. I remember a video where he gave he rundown of all the systems he owns, which is a massive amount.
    Last edited by JWiley_12; 02-26-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Page 1 of 203 1231151101 ... LastLast