Page 105 of 204 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 2037

Thread: Youtube channels / podcasts worthy of our time

Metal Jesus pickup video. Another 40 mins. Featuring Reggie who picked up a Master System, and gets taught what a roguelike is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erUzW_CytW0
    Last edited by JWiley_12; 05-27-2016 at 02:34 PM.
    The real Goldar: "GVC are posers."
    http://i.imgur.com/PI2Ob5H.png

Lol at being a serious gamer and not knowing a major genre.

Clearly we can expect all the games in the video to spike in price. I actually watched quite a few MJ videos yesterday including all three turbo grafx videos. All the games mentioned were pretty much ones I have or intend to get. Not Coryoon though, **** that game.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Haven't been able to watch the whole video yet. Saw that he got a few free LRG games though. All the profit made on my $15 for shipping has to go somewhere, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Lol at being a serious gamer and not knowing a major genre.
    I've hung with Metal Jesus before, he's a pretty cool guy. When we were talking in the car on the way to go game hunting we talked about the reason he has other people on his show. Basically said that gaming has a massive range, and he can't be an expert in all of them. So rather than trying, he finds experts he knows to have them talk about the subject. He's more of a classic PC gamer, even used to work for Sierra, so that's more of his area of expertise. Well, with some blind-spots. Probably didn't play Rogue.

Enh, honestly I don't think it's too difficult but at the same time I think having other people on the show is something that works. But yeah, overall I like his videos.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    I like both MJR and Reggie. Would love to play and talk games with either of them. Reggie has been regularly doing his own videos for a year or two, and his channel has grown a bit. Really different content than MJR, and lacks the production, but still can be entertaining. Mostly pick-up videos and wacky stuff with his friend Crazy Joe.

I like Reggie's videos because he collects a lot of obscure and import stuff. I'm pretty sure that he's almost done with a complete Neo Geo Pocket collection; An awesome system, which I can relate to.

For what it's worth, I didn't know what a roguelike was until the PS2 era (due to the Baroque and Tower of Druaga "remakes"). I was aware of Chocobo's Dungeon 2, Torneko: The Last Hope, and Azure Dreams around the time of their releases on PS1 (as well as the Dark Cloud games on PS2 that had roguelike elements), but I don't recall anyone using the term "roguelike" to describe any of them (similar to how "Metroidvania" wasn't a term commonly used back then as far as I can tell). I'd heard of Rogue and NetHack before all of this, but hadn't played them (and still haven't), tough they just seemed to be similar games that were influential/historically important (to say the least) than two milestones in a genre. Like a lot of history in general, so much is decided after the fact once a long enough pattern is noticeable and enough people care about it/someone draws attention to it in a way that creates enough interest. I imagine the Mystery Dungeon series (and probably more PC games I know little about) probably drew more attention to these types of games and helped them be more in abundance for more to notice/care at a certain point (and roguelikes from Japan seem to get localized more often than not in more recent years, though it used to be the other way around).
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 05-27-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Why do people insist on spelling it as "rougelike"? I will never understand.

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Why do people insist on spelling it as "rougelike"? I will never understand.
    That's just me not spell-checking initially and you reading/commenting on my posts before I went back and edited them, though I guess other people probably don't know how to spell in general enough that it's probably not uncommon (no idea, but that seems to be the case judging by the results if one Googles the misspelling)? It appears to have an Urbandictionary.com listing, but that doesn't really mean anything to me. I suppose people get mixed up with the French word for red though or some sort of software spell-checking might autocorrect to that or something similar, though I'm not certain.
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 05-27-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Yeah, there are A LOT of people out there spelling it as "rougelike".