Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make an argument for these NIS Games!

Make an argument for these NIS Games!

I am currently clearing my wish list up a bit. I removed all the Neptunia games, and Mugen Souls. I am pretty sure about those ones for now. Looking at my list, I also have Witch and the Hundred Knight, Guided Fate Paradox, and Trinity Universe on my wish list. Can anyone make an argument that I should keep them on my wish list, or remove them? They are all relatively cheap, so that doesn't bother me. They all score fairly low on Metacritic, that does bother me a bit more. I don't take a lot of stock in reviews, but I was a little disappointed with my last few NIS games. I've been wanting to play more PS2, Wii RPGs as well so I am trying to pare down the PS3 list.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Mugen Souls, Neptunia (first one), and Trinity Universe are the only games out of those that I enjoyed, they were lighthearted enough for me to look past the glaring flaws. I'd advise cheating in Mugen and Neptunia, they're clunky and grindy (really clunky and grindy) and it makes them far more playable. They aren't great or even that good by any means but, if you've got a 'don't care if I enjoy it or not' price I think they're worth a shot.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 03-26-2015 at 07:04 PM.

First of all, my advice would be definitely play your PS2 JRPGs first, as most would be better than anything you mentioned. Depends what the Wii games are but those are most likely better too.

That said I'd also give preference to the ones LoP mentioned over GFP and WatHK which were throwaway games imo. If it wouldn't mess with my collection I'd probably sell my Witch and GFP sets if I could get enough for them. Neptunia 2 is more or less an atrocity but I suppose you might as well play it if you are going to play the first and Victory just for the sake of playing them in order.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    First of all, my advice would be definitely play your PS2 JRPGs first, as most would be better than anything you mentioned. Depends what the Wii games are but those are most likely better too.

That said I'd also give preference to the ones LoP mentioned over GFP and WatHK which were throwaway games imo. If it wouldn't mess with my collection I'd probably sell my Witch and GFP sets if I could get enough for them. Neptunia 2 is more or less an atrocity but I suppose you might as well play it if you are going to play the first and Victory just for the sake of playing them in order.
    Yeah, I figured my worst PS2 wishlist game (Probably Radiata Stories) ratings-wise would still be better than most of these games. I was on a kick where I wanted to support new releases for a while, but the new release dates for these games have come and gone without me buying them. The Wii games I am still hoping to play are Arc Rise Fantasia, Chocobo's Dungeon, Super Paper Mario, and going back to GC games I was looking at Skies of Arcadia Legends and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

I actually already canned Neptunia and Mugen Souls. For one, I heard they were similar to Fairy Fencer F, which I enjoyed to an extent, but not an experience I am looking to replicate until the sequel comes out. Second, Neptunia seems to be jumping on Vita, and I can always think about trying it on that system when I finally get it.

I was thinking of keeping Witch and the Hundred Knights because I remember it being more action oriented, which would be a fresher breath of air compared to a lot of my wishlist items.

Fairy Fencer was better than Neptunia imo so yeah I'd say you probably made a good choice there.

Once you get past the voice acting Arc Rise is an above average game. I don't think I like it as much as Zborg but it is for sure better than metacritic would have you believe. It's much closer to a 8.5-9/10 than a 6.4/10 (metacritic average). Plus you seem to like tried and true JRPG style from what I've seen you post about games you are playing. Out of everything listed, I'd play it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Fairy Fencer was better than Neptunia imo so yeah I'd say you probably made a good choice there.

Once you get past the voice acting Arc Rise is an above average game. I don't think I like it as much as Zborg but it is for sure better than metacritic would have you believe. It's much closer to a 8.5-9/10 than a 6.4/10 (metacritic average). Plus you seem to like tried and true JRPG style from what I've seen you post about games you are playing. Out of everything listed, I'd play it first.
    Nice, thanks for the suggestion! I definitely have enjoyed a lot of what Imageepoch has done, so I have fairly high hopes for it. I've also wanted to dust off the Wii, so it might be a good opportunity to do that. Probably won't be immediately, but near the end of summer.

I think a lot of reviewers really sour on the lower tier JRPG titles. It makes it hard to analyze what is really good and bad.

I would tend to agree with that. Any jrpg from a smaller company is probably getting a 7/10 at best.

Whats wrong with Trinity Universe? I think the ratings overall are in the sixties. But the fact that it has etna and flonne is good enough for me to play it.

Haven't played guided yet, but I like the concept of being a god and having angels and demons as allies.

Nothing to say about Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    Whats wrong with Trinity Universe? I think the ratings overall are in the sixties. But the fact that it has etna and flonne is good enough for me to play it.

Haven't played guided yet, but I like the concept of being a god and having angels and demons as allies.

Nothing to say about Witch.
    Did you play Trinity Universe? What were your thoughts on it?

Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    Nothing? Everyone that has posted so far has recommended it. It's just not as good as Arc Rise or most PS2 JRPGS. :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast