Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best JRPG of the last generation in Japan?

Best JRPG of the last generation in Japan?

Hearing a Gamestop ad touting Xenoblade Chronicles as the best JRPG of the generation, which I can generally agree with... I came up with a question. Is the game considered the same in Japan? Or is there another title looked upon as the best RPG of the PS3/360/Wii era? Have been thinking about that ever since hearing the ad..

Ewww no. Xenoblade sucked. There are better JRPGs on the Wii even.

If we are being broad I'd vote for Valkyria Chronicles. If the definition of a JRPG is more strict and boils down to final fantasy/dragon quest style of menu driven with skill/level up systems and what not I'd vote for Lost Odyssey.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Isn't Xeno Chron one Gamestop had reprinted? So.... $$$ = da best or da best = $$$. Still got to sell those $60 "used" copies.

Good point bandit. Also gotta pimp the N3DS version that's about to come out.

Valkyria Chronicles was a strategy game with RPG elements; but NOT a strategy RPG.

One key element to a game being an RPG is individual character levels. For VC to qualify as a SRPG, the game would have to keep track of each character's experience, and gain levels individually. The end result would be having different Scouts at different levels, rather than all Scouts being the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post

If we are being broad I'd vote for Valkyria Chronicles. If the definition of a JRPG is more strict and boils down to final fantasy/dragon quest style of menu driven with skill/level up systems and what not I'd vote for Lost Odyssey.
    While I've only played the opening chapter so far, I'd agree that Lost Odyssey is probably one of the best JRPGs of last gen -it's a real shame it doesn't seem to get that much recommendation for all it did so well. Valkyria Chronicles is easily high up there too, but I'd put in a word for Tales of Vesperia and Nier.

(If we were talking about RPGs in general, I'd say the first Mass Effect and South Park: The Stick of Truth are definitely the first two games that come to mind that I finished and still fondly remember.)

Fair enough. It's definitely still one of my favourite Japanese gaming experiences of the gen.

The west did a lot better imo that gen (is it past tense? I feel like we are still in it with how few actual new titles xbone and ps4 are getting). Whereas something like the PS1 era I think Japan did better unless you take computers in to play.

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingFirewire View Post
    While I've only played the opening chapter so far, I'd agree that Lost Odyssey is probably one of the best JRPGs of last gen -it's a real shame it doesn't seem to get that much recommendation for all it did so well. Valkyria Chronicles is easily high up there too, but I'd put in a word for Tales of Vesperia and Nier.

(If we were talking about RPGs in general, I'd say the first Mass Effect and South Park: The Stick of Truth are definitely the first two games that come to mind that I finished and still fondly remember.)
    Yeah Vesperia is quite solid too.

I usually see Lost Odyssey recommended when people ask about must play 360 games. Lost Odyssey is the REAL and proper FF game of the generation. It removes annoying aspects (grinding) while presenting a nice overall package. The plot isn't mind blowing by any means but it gets the job done.

MASSSSSS EFFFFECT. Yessss. I have seen the light with this series. Blows JRPGs out of the water.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 04-04-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Depends on how far we can stretch the term JRPG. I've still not played Valkyria yet. My favorites from last gen.

1. Nier. Not an RPG in the most literal sense, but no less one than something like Secret of Mana back in the 16 bit era. Still one of the best gaming experiences in years, dare I say ever. Sure, it has lots of problems but it makes up for it in so many ways.
    2. Lost Odyssey. The epitome of the true console "JRPG" last gen, as far as I am concerned.
    3. ARF. Yeah. I said it again. I loved that game and want to play it again. I'll miss you Poochy! Sorry your masterpiece got panned for its bad VA work.
    4. Infinite Space. It is an RPG. It has strategy and visual novel elements. It is only 5 years old now and is "last-gen" if you consider the 3DS to still be current gen. One of my favorite games since the 16-32 bit era.

There are many others that I loved that were panned by critics, so it is all subjective.

Biggest last-gen letdown is:

Spoiler: 
    FF13. I'd rather play Last Remnant than this garbage.

I think that more general purpose RPGS have moved to portable since the releases of PSP and Vita, so I'm still working on those. Lots of ports there though.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 04-04-2015 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post

Xenoblade did not suck. That being said I do I agree VC and LO were better. I think my top 5 games last gen were those two Demon's Souls, Culdcept Saga, and The Last of Us.

I think most of you are failing to see the question I am raising. Xenoblade Chronicles is considered *the* JRPG of the gen whether we personally agree with it or not. I was just wondering if Japan feels the same way, or if another game has the title over there.

But to address some of the other points; I'd rank Xenoblade as a top 5 favorite of mine but not number one. Valkyria would be up there, so would Tales of Graces f or Xillia. My personal favorite was FF XIII-2, but I'm a weird FF fanboy like that.

Is it dumb to start Mass Effect with ME3? It's like five bucks nowadays
    Last edited by daylightdies; 04-04-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast