Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best JRPG of the last generation in Japan?

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    I think most of you are failing to see the question I am raising. Xenoblade Chronicles is considered *the* JRPG of the gen whether we personally agree with it or not. I was just wondering if Japan feels the same way, or if another game has the title over there.

But to raise some of the other points; I'd rank Xenoblade as a top 5 favorite of mine but not number one. Valkyria would be up there, so would Tales of Graces f or Xillia. My personal favorite was FF XIII-2, but I'm a weird FF fanboy like that.

Is it dumb to start Mass Effect with ME3? It's like five bucks nowadays
    Yes, they're directly related and in sequence.

Strangely, my top two picks are Xbox 360 games, Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia, I think. Maybe even top 3 with Magna Carta 2. Ni no kuni and Xenoblade both had massive hype but to me they were mostly impressive because of their graphics. I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII-2 more than both to be completely honest.

Xenoblade did craft a unique and interesting world to a degree but at the expense of making the game drag on and not being very fun to play. It's a memorable game and I definitely think it's worth playing but I don't think it quite deserves all its praise.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were obviously the best if we count "Japanese + some RPG = JRPG", together with the Yakuza games.
    Last edited by INKU4884; 04-04-2015 at 01:09 AM.

500+ reviews and 4.5/5 on Amazon JP. http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E4%BB%BB%E5...dp/B003I4EBBO/

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingFirewire View Post
    While I've only played the opening chapter so far, I'd agree that Lost Odyssey is probably one of the best JRPGs of last gen -it's a real shame it doesn't seem to get that much recommendation for all it did so well. Valkyria Chronicles is easily high up there too, but I'd put in a word for Tales of Vesperia and Nier.

(If we were talking about RPGs in general, I'd say the first Mass Effect and South Park: The Stick of Truth are definitely the first two games that come to mind that I finished and still fondly remember.)
    The first ME was definitely the best in most ways, if not for the derpy mechanics changes I think I'd say the second was. It's too bad that more of the characters weren't constant through the series, thankfully my favorites were. It reminded me of Crysis->Crysis 2 except ME2/3 were playable and made sense. Stick of Truth could have done with certain scenes involving underpants gnomes and near the end being censored.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 04-04-2015 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Depends on how far we can stretch the term JRPG. I've still not played Valkyria yet. My favorites from last gen.

1. Nier. Not an RPG in the most literal sense, but no less one than something like Secret of Mana back in the 16 bit era. Still one of the best gaming experiences in years, dare I say ever. Sure, it has lots of problems but it makes up for it in so many ways.
    2. Lost Odyssey. The epitome of the true console "JRPG" last gen, as far as I am concerned.
    3. ARF. Yeah. I said it again. I loved that game and want to play it again. I'll miss you Poochy! Sorry your masterpiece got panned for its bad VA work.
    4. Infinite Space. It is an RPG. It has strategy and visual novel elements. It is only 5 years old now and is "last-gen" if you consider the 3DS to still be current gen. One of my favorite games since the 16-32 bit era.

There are many others that I loved that were panned by critics, so it is all subjective.

Biggest last-gen letdown is:

Spoiler: 
    FF13. I'd rather play Last Remnant than this garbage.

I think that more general purpose RPGS have moved to portable since the releases of PSP and Vita, so I'm still working on those. Lots of ports there though.
    I wasn't even thinking of DS since the OP didn't mention it. With DS in the picture DQ IX and Infinite Space are masterpieces.

I really don't see how you got that out of Nier. I thought it was one of the worst gaming experiences ever. But like you say, it's subjective.

I do agree with you on ARF. Pretty weird that probably the only two people that would consider it a top 5 JRPG of it's gen are on the same forum. :P

Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    Is it dumb to start Mass Effect with ME3? It's like five bucks nowadays
    Yes. The series demands you play it in order. Completely worth it. One of the best gaming experiences of the gen.

Quote Originally Posted by INKU4884 View Post
    Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were obviously the best if we count Japanese + some RPG, together with the Yakuza games.
    Not a huge fan of the Souls games but pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Mage View Post
    500+ reviews and 4.5/5 on Amazon JP. http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E4%BB%BB%E5...dp/B003I4EBBO/
    People liked NSync too.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 04-04-2015 at 01:13 AM.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

As far as Japan is concerned home consoles play second fiddle, if there was a definitive best JRPG in Japan it would have been a portable title.

As for best JRPG last gen, if there was one I didn't play it if we're talking about the classic turn based variety. Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles and Folklore are my top pics for Japanese offshoot RPGs last gen. If we're going into portable territory, wow a bunch we got and even more (much much more) we never got, plus when we add Falcom into the equation things can get messy lol.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    I frankly think that Xenoblade was one of the most overrated games of last gen. Nowhere near my top five. Not even in my top ten. Just plain boring and clunky, but I stuck with it for 100 hours. I should have sold it while it was still in high demand, and bought something like Fire Emblem.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I frankly think that Xenoblade was one of the most overrated games of last gen. Nowhere near my top five. Not even in my top ten. Just plain boring and clunky, but I stuck with it for 100 hours. I should have sold it while it was still in high demand, and bought something like Fire Emblem.
    I feel your pain. I could and should have sold it when it was around $180.

I did manage to sell it for $80 shipped on ebay about a month ago. About $67 of real money. At least that was more than I paid.

And yeah I don't care what anyone would say Radiant Dawn is a way better game than Xenoblade.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

I have Radiant Dawn but never got into it.

I really don't get why Radiant Dawn is never mentioned when people talk about Wii RPGs but Awakening is always mentioned for the 3DS. If anything, I found Radiant Dawn to be the higher quality product. I guess lowering the difficulty and focusing on "social elements" was a hit so we should see more of that in the upcoming 3DS game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast