Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Geek cred"

"Geek cred"

Not sure what to think of it.

Whoever wrote this at Washington Post doesn't really get it though. She's photographed playing *something* (likely a non-violent video game) on a Game Boy in 1993, which leads to them to "Clinton wasn't always seen as pro video games. In 2005, a few years before the then-senator launched her first White House run, Clinton had many gamers rolling their eyes with a legislative campaign that painted violent video games as a scourge out to get America's youth." Not sure how that is supposed to be contradictory.

Also, before making any judgment about (violent) video games, wouldn't you expect her to have at least played some?

I really don't see this "change in how politicians talk about video games".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...cal-geek-cred/

Anyway, do you guys feel like more and more famous people are trying to artificially gain "geek cred" by posing as gamers, since apparently the "geek demographic" is lucrative?

Politicians I really don't expect to have much knowledge of gaming in general. Mostly due to the common age. Some of the youger people perhaps have atleast played something.
    Celebrities maybe.

Politicians will post with anything they think will get them votes. I think both gamers and geeks are pretty large demographics. I remember one Swedish politician who went to a rave party once when that was popular. It only happened once so I'm sure she didn't do it because she enjoyed it. Got her free press and appeal among young people though.

Honestly its a little of topic but I feel this is one of the reason Sarkesian doesn't get a lot respect particularly from gamers. She doesn't feel like an actual gamer, nor does she actually seem to play a lot of the games she criticizes which leads to her being misinformed at times. I mean I think she is trying to make at least semi valid argument, but her lack of "gaming cred" doesn't help.

But I do find it funny whenever some celebrity says they are a gamer and then they mention some free to play app, or some game that just has a well known title.

To me it comes off as the, "Wait a minute I have a Black or Asian friend, so I am cool" argument.

On the flip side you have Togashi who is a legitimate gamer and that is the one thing that ticks people off about him. :}
    Last edited by KrownKlown; 04-26-2015 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    Honestly its a little of topic but I feel this is one of the reason Sarkesian does get a lot respect particularly from gamers. She doesn't feel like an actual gamer, nor does she actually seem to play a lot of the games she criticizes which leads to her being misinformed at times. I mean I think she is trying to make at least semi valid argument, but her lack of "gaming cred" doesn't help.

But I do find it funny whenever some celebrity says they are a gamer and then they mention some free to play app, or some game that just has a well known title.

To me it comes off as the, "Wait a minute I have a Black or Asian friend, so I am cool" argument.

On the flip side you have Togashi who is a legitimate gamer and that is the one thing that ticks people off about him. :}
    What a wonderful society we live in. Completely agree. Hilarious.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

It probably wins them more popularity to say they're a fan of a well known game than to say they're a fan of Vanguard Bandits. Their voters would be like .

They aren't just saying they are gamers because they want you to know about them. They want your vote.

Is there even adequate lighting for her to be able to play a Gameboy in that photo? :-p

Honestly its a little of topic but I feel this is one of the reason Sarkesian does get a lot respect particularly from gamers. She doesn't feel like an actual gamer, nor does she actually seem to play a lot of the games she criticizes which leads to her being misinformed at times. I mean I think she is trying to make at least semi valid argument, but her lack of "gaming cred" doesn't help.

It does however change the perception of society in general of gamers. People who would typically think "what are you still doing playing video games at age 25+?" would maybe remember how even Hillary plays video games nowadays, so it's can't be that bad of a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadElf_ View Post
    Is there even adequate lighting for her to be able to play a Gameboy in that photo? :-p
    That Game Boy probably was a presidential backlit model. If you ever find a piece with serial number US0001 in a yard sale, that's the one. ;-)

This reminds me of that horrible phone game by a Kardashian (?), It's selling well still.

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    That Game Boy probably was a presidential backlit model. If you ever find a piece with serial number US0001 in a yard sale, that's the one. ;-)
    HAHA.

The funny thing about something like "Geek Cred" is that people whom are "geeks" or whatever people like to call them are people very well versed in a subject or fandom so it's kinda counterproductive to pretend to be one since you can smell BS a mile away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast