Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hero-U kickstarter creators asking for more funds via a 2nd kickstarter...

Actually, I find this update even worse than the previous one.

If this campaign is successful, here is how we will spend the funds
    [...]
    Debt reduction to lower interest expense
    I wonder if they want interest for the "personal loans" they allowed to their own company.

Also...

$150,000 home equity line of credit to cover Hero-U development and pay our living expenses
    Seriously?

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    That's what they should have posted the first time, backers certainly deserve to know what's going on when they've thrown money at something. This kind of crap is why I've been super cautious about backing projects.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 05-07-2015 at 09:45 PM.

$150,000 home equity line of credit to cover Hero-U development and pay our living expenses
    Lol. Please.
    Only missing the "entertainment" expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    This kind of crap is why I've been super cautious about backing projects.
    Yep, as everyone should be. KS isn't a pre-order system, its a generally high-risk investment (hence why they had to turn to KS in the first place). If you want to treat it as a pre-order system, then only fund project with almost no barriers to completion, like compilation art books. Games development is one of the highest risk things you can invest in, and there's no end to what can go wrong during their development.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    Yep, as everyone should be. KS isn't a pre-order system, its a generally high-risk investment (hence why they had to turn to KS in the first place). If you want to treat it as a pre-order system, then only fund project with almost no barriers to completion, like compilation art books. Games development is one of the highest risk things you can invest in, and there's no end to what can go wrong during their development.
    Very, very well put.

While I agree with Fabrizio1, there are game related projects that are a "fairly safe bet" though.

I backed Divinity: Original Sin, at first mostly because they are compatriots. They did a KS to add more content to their game which was going to be released anyway. So you basically only funded them to allow them to make a better game. Which fully materialized. Would back Larian again anytime. Also, I've been at their studios in Ghent (after having backed them, btw). They're good, hardworking people. Which doesn't mean a future project of theirs could go awry. But I'd support them anytime.

I've also backed Obsidian/Pillars of Eternity. During the entire project I never had the slightest suspicion that they didn't know what they were doing. The whole thing was handled really well. Would also back them again.

Had I known about Vic's KS project, I might've backed it too. The rallys for CoH2 and CoH2G after that are also a form of crowdfunding if you think about it, and both were succesful.

So I wouldn't generalize too much. It very much depends on the people behind the project imho. People with a proven record of managing projects, like Larian, like Obsidian, like Vic too, should be given the benefit of the doubt at all times. Not saying something beyond their control could go wrong still. But they've shown times and again that they not only possess the skill to deliver a product, they also have the know-how to mitigate risk and to take responsible business decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    While I agree with Fabrizio1, there are game related projects that are a "fairly safe bet" though.

I backed Divinity: Original Sin, at first mostly because they are compatriots. They did a KS to add more content to their game which was going to be released anyway. So you basically only funded them to allow them to make a better game. Which fully materialized. Would back Larian again anytime. Also, I've been at their studios in Ghent (after having backed them, btw). They're good, hardworking people. Which doesn't mean a future project of theirs could go awry. But I'd support them anytime.

I've also backed Obsidian/Pillars of Eternity. During the entire project I never had the slightest suspicion that they didn't know what they were doing. The whole thing was handled really well. Would also back them again.

Had I known about Vic's KS project, I might've backed it too. The rallys for CoH2 and CoH2G after that are also a form of crowdfunding if you think about it, and both were succesful.

So I wouldn't generalize too much. It very much depends on the people behind the project imho. People with a proven record of managing projects, like Larian, like Obsidian, like Vic too, should be given the benefit of the doubt at all times. Not saying something beyond their control could go wrong still. But they've shown times and again that they not only possess the skill to deliver a product, they also have the know-how to mitigate risk and to take responsible business decisions.
    I don't think game KS shouldn't be given a chance, there's a lot of great stuff out there both large and small, however people do need to look into projects more and understand what they're getting into. The idea behind KS is so new to the average person that both creators and backers often don't understand just what the hell they're getting into, the result is massive failure/disappointment. If done properly KS Projects can really work wonders, provided massive hurdles don't interfere with the project.

Can anyone explain how this isn't a violation of Kickstarter's terms of service? I mean, if you start from the position that a Kickstarter agreement is a binding agreement between the backer and the project creator to deliver a game if a certain level of funding is received, how is allowing a second Kickstarter for the same project for an additional amount of money not a breach of that original agreement? I just think this sets a dangerous and disturbing precedent and it will likely lead to more projects underestimating their actual budget needs only to return when funds run out for a second shot at even more money.

Quote Originally Posted by bojay1997 View Post
    Can anyone explain how this isn't a violation of Kickstarter's terms of service? I mean, if you start from the position that a Kickstarter agreement is a binding agreement between the backer and the project creator to deliver a game if a certain level of funding is received, how is allowing a second Kickstarter for the same project for an additional amount of money not a breach of that original agreement? I just think this sets a dangerous and disturbing precedent and it will likely lead to more projects underestimating their actual budget needs only to return when funds run out for a second shot at even more money.
    That was my concern from the get-go. Imagine now that others in a similar situation start doing exact same thing. Let's say for example, the project "After Reset" kickstarter initial goal at $900,000 was not funded as was the case, and they had another one at $35,000 which was funded at almost 3x the amount at $94,892 as it were. Now suppose after x amount of months, they than come back and do the same thing saying something like "well we really underestimated this reboot at this amount and the funding we really need is still closer to the original $900,000 goal then what we got with the reboot. So we are now starting another kickstarter to try and reach that initial goal." Everyone and their mother would start and try to pull this off if they could. Than where would that leave the backers of the first kickstarter at?

If something violates Kickstarter's TOS, they just change them. I'm not kidding.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast