Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite "retro" console?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    Get one!!!
    It's worth it, Phantasy Star is a game worth getting one for, there is a SMS version of Ys 1 as well
    I agree, it's worth trying out!

PS was amazing, I didn't play it as a kid but I'm glad I didn't miss out on it and Ys 1 (the first US localization of the Ys series) is a killer I regret soo much not getting my hands on it when I was growing up. There's also Psychic World and Ultima IV, their SMS versions were superb.

The SMS was in many ways better than the NES, but due to Nintendo's policy to lock out 3rd party games from the NES unless they were exclusive for 2 years the SMS was deprived of a lot of 3rd party software and that impacted sales considerably. On the flip side we got ton's of unique software for the system, even after dry sales Sega never stopped supporting it until it ended it's lifecycle. There wasn't a drought of games but there were a lot of arcade ports, the good thing is we had a bunch of unique console spinofs from those ports and most of the ports were completely redesigned as console games rather that operating like coin-op. (Shinobi comes to mind, you had a lifebar and set number of lives you could increment meanwhile in the arcade ver you died from a single hit. The gameplay was also a bit more dynamic, on the console version you weren't forced to save everyone in a level and you could move around the map more freely).

I believe the console caught on on PR because the arcades here at the time were filled with Sega games, naturally people turned to the SMS though I'm uncertain how well it actually performed vs the NES here. I don't recall hardly any NESs but tons of SMS.(First time I saw an NES was during the Genesis era 0-0, I had vaguely heard of it, mostly as the console that Mario was on)

EDIT - Oh and I forgot in my original post Snail Maze, the slew of Alex the Kid games and Golden Axe Warrior. We really loved those ^_^
    Last edited by Aristides; 05-24-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    For me it's the system that no one remembers, no one has played and hardly anyone know's of it's existence lol. THE SMS! (Sega Master System) :P this thing made my entire childhood and I never had so many games for one system until I had a PS2. I grew up playing Shinobi, Space Harrier,The Ninja,Double Dragon, OutRun, Altered Beast, HangOn/Wild Things, Assault City, After Burner and a ton of other classics. The system was quite popular here in PR, people in their 30s know the system well. (I inherited mine from my big brother, even after acquiring the Genesis and SNES we still played it)
    Better version of Double Dragon than the NES got, too.

For it has to be the Saturn, without doubt. I mostly replay my psone games on the Vita nowadays but Saturn is where it's at. I do have an SMS and Sega Gen/Cd/32X plugged in for casual play and my Dreamcast still sees use from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by PW_Patrick View Post
    Better version of Double Dragon than the NES got, too.
    One of my fondest muliplayer memories from when I was a kid, DD rocked! I was always so glad the Gen controller worked with the SMS when my second controller broke.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
    For it has to be the Saturn, without doubt. I mostly replay my psone games on the Vita nowadays but Saturn is where it's at. I do have an SMS and Sega Gen/Cd/32X plugged in for casual play and my Dreamcast still sees use from time to time.
    What'd you play on the Saturn & SMS? I rarely see people like the Saturn over PS1, I guess Stolar didn't quite F everything up lol.

Shning Force 3 Part 1,2,3(with fan translation for parts 2 and 3). Dragon Force, Albert Odyssey, Shining the holy Ark and Dragon Force 2(which I hope Vic will one day put out on the Vita/PSP!? I can dream...). Mostly that's the title I replay once in a while, but I do like to play PTO 2 and Iron Storm for a while too.

SMS Miracle Warriors and Phantasy Star and Ys. I pop in Golden Axe Warriors form time to time too. Spellcaster too.

I... kinda can't say, since it goes in waves. All the systems are hooked up to the TV, from the Atari VCS to the PS3. Right now, the retro system we are going to is the NES, though a month ago, it was the SNES. Though we are looking for ways to reduce the systems hooked up; the Power Base Converter helps with the Master System needs. Now all I have to do is find somewhere to put this CD-i that I just got...
    -dunno001
    -CoH2? Yeah, that can Come on Here 2! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by dunno001 View Post
    I... kinda can't say, since it goes in waves. All the systems are hooked up to the TV, from the Atari VCS to the PS3. Right now, the retro system we are going to is the NES, though a month ago, it was the SNES. Though we are looking for ways to reduce the systems hooked up; the Power Base Converter helps with the Master System needs. Now all I have to do is find somewhere to put this CD-i that I just got...
    What is a CD-i

Hope you got Burn Cycle for that CD-i

I owned a PS1 as a kid but I'd say it's objectively the best one. My favourite might be the Saturn at the moment though. I bought one a couple of years ago and I keep finding more and more games for it. With a library of exclusives like the Saturn I really can't fathom how little it sold. Best 2D controller ever too. Sadly I have to admit the PS1 had a better library and I guess many people just buy one console per gen.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast