Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite "retro" console?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    What is a CD-i
    In the mid-1990s, there were quite a few CD-based systems that showed up, as the limitations of cartridge space started to become more apparent. Most people have heard of the Sega CD and the TGCD. The success of video games in general around this time also led to a few other companies getting into gaming, though almost all were short-lived. One of these companies was Phillips, who released the CD-i multimedia system. To their credit, it did get some non-gaming software, like an encyclopedia. (But, like many CD games of the era, the games were heavily FMV-driven.) Without going into a history lesson, though, this system stands out for having Nintendo properties on it, all of which pretty much suck (and weren't done by Nintendo), and these are some of the more sought-after games for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    Hope you got Burn Cycle for that CD-i
    I just checked, and it wasn't in the bundle, though I may try to pick that up next month. It did come with a few other pieces of software, though, including Hotel Mario and Link: The Faces of Evil. Most of the other games don't seem too bad to get, so I may go for a complete collection. (Says the one who's 2 games away from a full Virtual Boy collection...)
    -dunno001
    -CoH2? Yeah, that can Come on Here 2! ^_^

Might want to download a copy of Marios Wacky Worlds for CD-i too. It's a cancelled Mario game that got leaked on the net a few years ago fyi.

Unfortunately I don't have too many retro consoles (or consoles in general) but right now the PS2 is my favourite. Just so many good games for it and plenty of RPGs <3
    I really want to try out more older consoles though :l (especially the SNES & N64 right now, since I've never played on either)

I'm rather partial to the Turbografx. Dunno why. Sentimental reasons perhaps. Most Hu-card games are pretty lame. Loved the CD stuff tho.

Quote Originally Posted by dunno001 View Post
    Without going into a history lesson, though, this system stands out for having Nintendo properties on it, all of which pretty much suck (and weren't done by Nintendo), and these are some of the more sought-after games for this.
    can't remember the exact story behind it, but the Nintendo 'licenses' for the system involved the CD-I originally meaning to be a CD-add on to the SNES. my memory is bad and I don't remember the specific details, but the CD-I may have been the one where Phillips went "SCREW YOU NINTENDO! WE'RE RELEASING THIS AS OUR OWN SYSTEM" and they sold it as a stand alone.

The other system produced from a failed attempt at a SNES CD add on was the Playstation.

It wasn't a failed attempt at an SNES CD add-on (the Playstation). It was more of a dispute between the two companies and Sony deciding to release the CD part as a standalone console and named it Playstation.

I... kinda can't say, since it goes in waves. All the systems are hooked up to the TV, from the Atari VCS to the PS3. Right now, the retro system we are going to is the NES, though a month ago, it was the SNES. Though we are looking for ways to reduce the systems hooked up; the Power Base Converter helps with the Master System needs. Now all I have to do is find somewhere to put this CD-i that I just got...
    You should put a picture up on the collector's cove thread. How many consoles do you have?
    Another regular at the cyber-bar. Getting drunk on bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    It wasn't a failed attempt at an SNES CD add-on (the Playstation). It was more of a dispute between the two companies and Sony deciding to release the CD part as a standalone console and named it Playstation.
    you're probably right and I have them backwards. I know one of the two systems involved a partnership turning sour.

neither PS nor CDi would exist were it not for Nintendo wanting to do a SNES CD tho

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    neither PS nor CDi would exist were it not for Nintendo wanting to do a SNES CD tho
    This is incorrect; the CD-i actually had a release date in 1991, same year as the SNES.

As for the history, well... there are some details that aren't concrete, but most of this is generally accepted. After the Sega CD was announced, Nintendo wanted to do a CD attachment of their own. They approached Sony, and began work on it, though, all of the details had not yet been hashed out. Supposedly, Sony wanted to basically have the rights to everything released on the SNES CD, and Nintendo wanted nothing more than to pay a flat fee for their work. While attempting to reconcile this, Nintendo also negotiates with Phillips, and, in exchange for permissions to use some of their properties, agrees to make a CD attachment for Nintendo. At a huge press conference, Sony talks about the SNES CD, only to have a few hours later, Nintendo talk about their partnership with Phillips. Sony saw this as treacherous, and the Nintendo/Sony merger was ended. (As if it hadn't been already...) Sony, rather than discarding their work to date, retooled things to be a Play Station, later released as we all know, the Playstation. Meanwhile, the failure of the CD-i left Phillips hurting financially, forcing a slowdown on the progress, ultimately leading to its abandonment by Nintendo in favor of the Nintendo 64. (I do not know if Phillips had a hand in the 64DD or not.)

Quote Originally Posted by Celebappren View Post
    You should put a picture up on the collector's cove thread. How many consoles do you have?
    I've considered it, but the sheer chaos of everything around here would make it very unweildy. (That, and I have a ton of shipping boxes in front of most of the PS2 games.) As for how many consoles we have, well... I'll just list them:

Atari VCS
    NES
    SNES
    N64
    Gamecube
    Wii
    Famicom model 2 w/ FDS
    Genesis w/ power base converter
    Saturn
    Dreamcast
    XBox
    XBox 360
    PS1 (well... we technically have it, though it's broken and not hooked up)
    PS2
    PS3
    PS2 JPN model
    CD-i (almost forgot this guy already...)
    ...and several portable systems.
    -dunno001

This is incorrect; the CD-i actually had a release date in 1991, same year as the SNES.

As for the history, well... there are some details that aren't concrete, but most of this is generally accepted. After the Sega CD was announced, Nintendo wanted to do a CD attachment of their own. They approached Sony, and began work on it, though, all of the details had not yet been hashed out. Supposedly, Sony wanted to basically have the rights to everything released on the SNES CD, and Nintendo wanted nothing more than to pay a flat fee for their work. While attempting to reconcile this, Nintendo also negotiates with Phillips, and, in exchange for permissions to use some of their properties, agrees to make a CD attachment for Nintendo. At a huge press conference, Sony talks about the SNES CD, only to have a few hours later, Nintendo talk about their partnership with Phillips. Sony saw this as treacherous, and the Nintendo/Sony merger was ended. (As if it hadn't been already...) Sony, rather than discarding their work to date, retooled things to be a Play Station, later released as we all know, the Playstation. Meanwhile, the failure of the CD-i left Phillips hurting financially, forcing a slowdown on the progress, ultimately leading to its abandonment by Nintendo in favor of the Nintendo 64. (I do not know if Phillips had a hand in the 64DD or not.)

I've considered it, but the sheer chaos of everything around here would make it very unweildy. (That, and I have a ton of shipping boxes in front of most of the PS2 games.) As for how many consoles we have, well... I'll just list them:

Atari VCS
    NES
    SNES
    N64
    Gamecube
    Wii
    Famicom model 2 w/ FDS
    Genesis w/ power base converter
    Saturn
    Dreamcast
    XBox
    XBox 360
    PS1 (well... we technically have it, though it's broken and not hooked up)
    PS2
    PS3
    PS2 JPN model
    CD-i (almost forgot this guy already...)
    ...and several portable systems.
    I was expecting a 3DO or the Atari Jaguar with all of those other consoles. What is the story behind the JPN model of the PS2? I also like that you have a Famicom Disk System. There was a very good game on there called Ai Senshi Nicol.

I also notice that you have whole sequences of mainline consoles except for Nintendo. Waiting for an incentive to purchase a Wii U?
    Another regular at the cyber-bar. Getting drunk on bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebappren View Post
    I was expecting a 3DO or the Atari Jaguar with all of those other consoles. What is the story behind the JPN model of the PS2? I also like that you have a Famicom Disk System. There was a very good game on there called Ai Senshi Nicol.

I also notice that you have whole sequences of mainline consoles except for Nintendo. Waiting for an incentive to purchase a Wii U?
    Don't have those, though if the opportunity presented itself for a good price, I'd not be averse to picking one up. I like those weird things. (Case in point- same day I got the CD-i, I also got a Power Glove.) Though I did forget to mention the Atari XE. That might be one of the more obscure ones?

Re the PS2J, the PS1 I had was modded. Not necessarily for burns, but for imports. When it died (again), I had the option of getting yet another PS1, or to go ahead and get the PS2, and open up that area of imports. The opportunity arose shortly afterward to get the PS2 for $100, and it was white, making it easy to distinguish.

The FDS... yeah, I'd been wanting one of those for a while. I heard the differences in music, and of course, wanted to hear it for myself, not just through a YouTube video. That, with a few weird games that sounded intriguing, led to one of those finally being had for about $60 working. I still have the box for it too; though I will have to look for that game you mention to check it out. I'm always wanting more imports. (For better or worse, of course...)

Lastly, regarding the WiiU, well... the last several systems we got at or near launch I don't feel have been worth the premium. The Wii itself didn't see too many games we wanted for a while after its release (and I think the 3rd parties squandered the potential of the system), the 3DS saw a price drop shortly after I bought it (though I did get the Ambassador games... some of which now are being sold...), and the Vita, well... I don't think I'm getting my money's worth on as things stand. For the 360, we waited until there were several RPGs on it that we wanted, and the PS3 was just obtained this past X-mas, and I think both of those were better values because of the late purchases. I know for certain I'll jump on the WiiU once the SMTxFE game comes out, but as VsXIII fans know about buying a system early for a game...
    -dunno001

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast