Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bravely Second (3DS sequel to Bravely Default) moves West in 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by INKU4884 View Post
    Happy to see so many people have the same opinion as me about the original Bravely Default. "Professional critics" really shouldn't be allowed to touch JRPGs because good games get bashed and trash gets hyped. Bravely Default is a completely unremarkable and derivative game except some pretty nifty features like the ability to turn off random encounters... .
    I'm also happy and relieved to see that there's people with a similar opinion as me, but I still think that out of all people who gave this a try, I took the most offense.
    I played Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light back then when it came out, and I absolutely loved most it. It got boring towards the end, but I was ok with that.
    So when Bravely Default was announced, I REALLY looked forward to it because it looked like an improvement from FF: 4 Heroes of Light, and I think they said it was a spiritual sequel? Nope.
    Everything I liked from that game is not present in Bravely Default, starting with the sweet melodic music that sounded like a mix of NES and SNES RPGs, replaced with the most generic music I can think of. The characters are annoying, etc etc.

So it's not that I didn't care about Bravely Default. I cared so much, and yet with 30 minutes of the demo and 30 minutes of the game, it was just HORRIBLE when just 5 minutes of FF 4 Heroes of Light were enough to hook me forever.

You thought the music was generic?

I still sometimes hum the themes.... I dunno, I liked it a lot.

Well, I played for only 1 hour total across the demo and real game.
    I have heard some music from youtube that appear later in the game that may be kind of cool, and at least 1 remix from 4 heroes of light itself!
    But the first good impression is just not there at all.

The battles even LOOK meh to me in Bravely, not just sound.

http://media1.gameinformer.com/image...edia/demon.jpg
    Look at how dynamic the battles from 4 Heroes of Light look. Each character has a different view of the enemy, and the camera does a cool movement when it switches. The characters also look well animated when they attack. And the main battle music has a nice catchy melody that sounds like a battle for a good traditional RPG.

http://www.ff-xv.net/images/media/4f...creenshot.jpeg
    In Bravely Default, the way it's designed and put together almost looks like a free phone game with little care.
    Everyone is just on one side grouped closely, looking dumb. It looks even more dumb when they attack. They look like they're dancing while having a seizure. That kinda thing worked well in FF3 because that one comes from an NES game, where the sprites did that... and even FF3 DS looks much more convincing to me than Bravely.

The battle music from Bravely Default also sounds way off to me. It doesn't make me want to fight.
    Bravely Second fixed this I think, so I was excited, but when I tried the demo, the intro was SO DUMB I want nothing to do with this series anymore. I didn't even have enough patience to leave town and fight. I lost interest when they yelled "We are the Crystalguard's three cavaliers!"
    Last edited by kleev_55; 03-25-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Man, I respect your opinion but do not agree. Personally the Bravely Default OST is one of my favorite soundtracks within recent memory because it's so diverse.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Well, I've played Pokémon X/Y. Bravely Default doesn't touch that OST.
    Pokémon has always been on par with Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and other great RPGs.
    I could compare DS Pokémon with FF 4HoL and it would be a match!

Sadly, the 3DS is very lacking to me in JRPGs. The Legend of Legacy is a disaster, and almost all the others are either from series I don't want to get into yet, or just not my style, like Etrian Odyssey, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei and Persona Q. So I can't make fair "recent" comparisons either.
    I'm the type that prefers melody over diversity and sound quality.
    You could compose a song with just 2 tracks of most basic 8bit beeps, but if the melody is good and fun, it will be a ton better than a high quality real life recording with over 10 instruments of a boring melody. Even Lunar Dragon Song's battle music is WAY, WAY more awesome than Bravely Default's!

I really like the battle system the way it is. It's as simple as need be to get across the turn-based combat look that it aimed for from the outset. The animations are all very fluid, the character designs for everything is very rounded, cute and simple while still having a design pattern that's appealing...

...and once again, I love the music. The game's story, and arguably the characters, are the worst part about the game. Everything else was fantastic, which is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubsiwub View Post
    ...and once again, I love the music. The game's story, and arguably the characters, are the worst part about the game. Everything else was fantastic, which is my opinion.
    If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were talking about FF8. A bad/meh story and characters is a huge deal when it comes to an RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were talking about FF8. A bad/meh story and characters is a huge deal when it comes to an RPG.
    You aren't wrong. They really screwed up with the story. Although I mention the characters as a flaw as many others mention it. I personally like the four of them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234