Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing back Working Designs-published games on Steam...

Bringing back Working Designs-published games on Steam...

Hey vireland, is it possible for you to coerce the rights owners of these games to re-release them on Steam?

Most of them are Sega anyway, and they have been *seemingly* easy to work with in regards to re-releasing games, but they have completely forgotten about the Saturn (except for Guardian Heroes, but its re-release is Xbox 360-only).

Has this been talked about at all?
    Attached Images Attached Images

SEGA now is not the SEGA of olden times. We've tried to license current games from them, but they are content to sit on the titles and let them rot in Japan because they're too afraid to do *anything*. That, plus Popful Mail and Rayearth have license partners, and Rayearth was a nightmare to deal with them the first time.

Understood. I have to realize that a lot of these companies just like to sit on properties and never re-release them, which is too bad. I mean, it's not difficult for Sega to re-release Panzer Dragoon Saga without the source code (all that's really needed is a bundled-in emulator).

The problem is that in Japanese companies, it's less risk for the manager NOT to license something. If he does and it fails, it's his fault for making the company look bad. If he does and it is successful, it's his fault for not seeing that potential and publishing it themselves. In most middle managers view it's lose/lose - so they do nothing and hold the status quo.

This isn't ALL of Japanese company workers, but it's a great many of them. The only way you get past it is by building personal relationships and individual trust, and that takes a LONG time.

Heh, makes you wonder how Sony's Japan Studio personnel felt about Demon's Souls being published by Atlus in North America.

At this point, buying the original games or the other route are your best options. I'm all for buying original over emulation.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    At this point, buying the original games or the other route are your best options. I'm all for buying original over emulation.
    I already have physical copies of Popful Mail and Shining Wisdom, but I'm not about to pay the scalper premiums for the other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Silvia View Post
    I already have physical copies of Popful Mail and Shining Wisdom, but I'm not about to pay the scalper premiums for the other games.
    I think it would be hard to say that all copies being sold of Dragon Force and Rayearth are being sold by scalpers. Sure there are a fair number of resellers out there, but there are also plenty of folks who are happy to cash out at this point if they didn't really enjoy the game(s) in the first place, or would rather have the cash value of the game for something else and play on a CDr instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Silvia View Post
    Heh, makes you wonder how Sony's Japan Studio personnel felt about Demon's Souls being published by Atlus in North America.
    What do you mean by listing Sony?

From Software was the developer so they should be the one who decides if someone could publish one of their games

Sony owns the Demon's Souls brand and they were the Japanese publisher. Atlus could not have published the game without Sony passing on it first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast