Page 4 of 188 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Games rising in price. How much is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Well I did say it may happen with one system where the prices go back down. I mean I'm not predicting a total market crash, that's not happening. I'm also not saying Ebay is going to turn into a cheap garage sale or flea market. I suppose my main issue is with the ultra common games that bumped well up in price and why people accept that. I mean it's funny that I bring it up with the lot I got recently being a great example in terms of the N64 games. Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Goldeneye etc... I get that they are popular, but there are thousands of copies on Ebay at a time. They are not in short supply. There is no reason to pay more than $5 for any of them yet people do. The SNES has worse examples like A Link to the Past. Some games have always been high but there is no reason to accept paying $20+ for a supremely common game. My hope would be that sanity would return on titles like those.

It should also be noted that even more common antiquities are generally much rarer than even a pretty rare video game like say MKR or .hack quarantine which are both around 10k copies.
    Likely because they are older than those games? People destroy still, throw stuff away, etc... video games will become more rare too over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    It's a dark day when people view video games as antiques @__@.
    Ok, why is that? Maybe as a non native speaker I'm missing something here, but in my understanding "antique" is a very broad term?

An antique (Latin: antiquus; "old", "ancient") is an old collectable item

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antique
    Last edited by JWiley_12; 06-07-2015 at 03:20 PM.
    The real Goldar: "GVC are posers."
    http://i.imgur.com/PI2Ob5H.png

If you are going by the textbook definition then yes. But as someone who knows antiques there is most definitely a context/connotation to it and the circles are very different than video game collectors.

True that people still destroy stuff but it's not as bad now (Gamestop aside) and there are more hoarders after 60s and such era toys went for more and then everyone thought everything would be worth too much money later. There is still plenty to find in people's attics, storage etc...
    Last edited by Gypsy; 06-07-2015 at 03:32 PM.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

If you are going by the textbook definition then yes. But as someone who knows antiques there is most definitely a context to it and the circles are very different than video game collectors.
    Oh, ok. Didn't know Lord of Pirates was in the "other circle". :P
    The real Goldar: "GVC are posers."
    http://i.imgur.com/PI2Ob5H.png

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    It's a dark day when people view video games as antiques @__@.
    I'd say that a lot of old arcade machines could easily qualify as being antiques. Same with some consoles and games.

I'll let you guys know when I see video games at the antique shops.

Well I did say it may happen with one system where the prices go back down. I mean I'm not predicting a total market crash, that's not happening. I'm also not saying Ebay is going to turn into a cheap garage sale or flea market. I suppose my main issue is with the ultra common games that bumped well up in price and why people accept that. I mean it's funny that I bring it up with the lot I got recently being a great example in terms of the N64 games. Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Goldeneye etc... I get that they are popular, but there are thousands of copies on Ebay at a time. They are not in short supply. There is no reason to pay more than $5 for any of them yet people do. The SNES has worse examples like A Link to the Past. Some games have always been high but there is no reason to accept paying $20+ for a supremely common game. My hope would be that sanity would return on titles like those.

It should also be noted that even more common antiquities are generally much rarer than even a pretty rare video game like say MKR or .hack quarantine which are both around 10k copies.
    Depending on how this gamestop retro situation turns out, things could go either way really.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Yeah that's a very intriguing situation. They have been stocking up and choking the supply a bit.

Yeah that's a very intriguing situation. They have been stocking up and choking the supply a bit.
    I also did not realize that the stuff is only going to be purchasable online. You can sell them to the stores, but only buy online. I have only bought a used product only from Gamestop.com 1 time, and probably won't again because they don't tell you if its disc/cart only. However, if the PowerUpRetroVault is anything to go by, they are inspecting stuff as they get it and marking condition and including what comes with it in the picture/description.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Yeah you have to assume when you buy used from Gamestop online that it will be incomplete with complete being a huge bonus.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    I'll let you guys know when I see video games at the antique shops.
    Depends on the context of an antique shop. I know of places that sell many really old collectibles of all sorts of things, including games. In a sense, they are antique shops. And, I know that you don't like to use your bandwidth for YouTube but you might find a gew seconds of this to be interesting:

https://youtu.be/e7121FcaFlM?t=5m29s

I've got the link directing to the part. It's in an antique shop, by the way.

Page 4 of 188 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast