Page 5 of 188 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Games rising in price. How much is too much?

I went to an antique store last year that's strictly antiques and among the old board games, there were atari era carts and those mini table top electronic video games. Soooo, yeah, there are some video games at antique stores, but it mostly depends on the vendors and whether they put out older ones or more 90s games.

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Could you maybe give an example of something antique that got cheaper once it reached a certain price though. Gotta admit I don't know a whole lot about it, and I'd like to better understand how something that is old, has been on the market for 25+ years, with a limited market presence by default, and in good (working) condition, can devaluate at a certain point in time.
    Beanie Babies.
    Went from robbing UPS trucks and selling for hundreds to 50 cents in thrift stores.

(maybe not 25+ years but same thing)
    Nobody will tell me how to live.

Quote Originally Posted by banditwolf View Post
    Beanie Babies.
    Went from robbing UPS trucks and selling for hundreds to 50 cents in thrift stores.
    I thought of mentioning these. That was an INSANE fad. Worse than Amiibos.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

90s fads were amazing. Power Rangers, Furbies, Bennie Babies, Tickle Me Elmo, etc.

Furbies are pure evil.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Everybody knows emulators are a thing and that ROMs and ISOs are really easy to get. That makes it obvious that anyone buying the actual carts/discs must be getting them for collection purposes or insists on only playing on the actual console. Collectors spend like crazy when it's something they insist on having so it's not surprising that people are testing the waters to see where the line will be drawn.

True, but you can't find emulators/roms at retail stores lol. There are hoards of regulars at the GW stores over here that come in daily, a few stand by the doors and when a new cart comes out, they flock to it. Some even buy the consoles/games that come out without the slightest idea on values.

It also doesn't help with people find CIB stadium events or earthbounds at these places (or Musha, like me LOL) and that gains attention nationwide.

It just depends on the game for me. I'm still buying back all the games I got rid of several years ago. In my little town we don't have crap for used games stores, so I'm pretty much stuck buying insane priced games on eBay. But I'd rather pay $100 for a ps1 RPG from my childhood than some shitty dime a dozen fps like Call of Duty today for $60. The older games are better, plus are high in nostalgia/sentimental. Getting my hands on these old games I grew up on is like holding a tangable physical piece of my childhood. Its not of course, but that's just how I feel. So if I wanted to splurge in a very high priced game in the $300+ range, it would be a rare occurance for me, and a day to celebrate. Go ps1! Ho fo sho!

I can't think of any PS1 game that's a US release higher than $100...besides Suikoden II and maybe Megaman Legends II. The rest are reasonably priced, but for how long?

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I can't think of any PS1 game that's a US release higher than $100...besides Suikoden II and maybe Megaman Legends II. The rest are reasonably priced, but for how long?
    Valkyrie Profile also goes for $100+ somewhat regularly.

Page 5 of 188 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast