Page 80 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Games rising in price. How much is too much?

True. If I relied on ROMs for everything, I would be rich, not having to buy retro games anymore.

I reckon games like Panzer Dragoon Saga continually rise due to demand/popularity, but also scarcity. Maybe we lose 1-3 copies each year due to outside factors, water damage/flooding, fires, broken, etc.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Panzer Dragoon Saga was very consistently a $200 - $300 game until more recently now that SEGA is hot stuff. It wasn't worth that much and it sure isn't worth what it goes for now.

Yeah, I feel like it's a decent $100 game, but not $500+

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    Panzer Dragoon Saga was very consistently a $200 - $300 game until more recently now that SEGA is hot stuff. It wasn't worth that much and it sure isn't worth what it goes for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Yeah, I feel like it's a decent $100 game, but not $500+
    Collection stats indicate that it's far more common than Shining the Holy Ark, and even Shining Force III Ep1, if that says anything. Probably even more than Dragon Force. Even Dragon Force, Albert Odyssey, Vanguard Bandits and MKR appear to have fewer copies in the wild and collection lists, and Elemental Gearbolt is far more uncommon. And most SEGA CD and TGCD RPGs are even less common than those.

It all comes down to hype and demand. Some day, there will be a huge number of PDS copies available. Someone will either uncover boxes of them, it will finally get a port or emulated "port", or there will be so few Saturns left that only the diehards will care. Probably all of the above.

You keep referring to collection stats. Are you using a specific website that tracks this kind of thing? Regardless, not everyone with a copy of a game is going to let it be known. I do agree about PDS though. It is completely hyped.

Keeping in mind Japanese copies here are numbers these are numbers in Ebay's sold history (3 months iirc) truncated down to US sellers only (to help avoid imports) for these games: PDS 59, Elemental Gearbolt 38, Dragon Force 45, Shining Holy Ark 28, Albert Odyssey 38, MKR 31, SF3 34, Vanguard Bandits 32. So a preliminary check indicates it is in fact more common than a lot of these. And I will also say, I've seen way more copies of it at local stores than the others. At one point one of the stores here had 5 copies of it. Shining Holy Ark I've never seen at a local store. SHA a bad game though, which probably keeps the price in check a bit.

I'm sure most TGCD rpgs are rarer, aside from things like Cosmic Fantasy 2. The prices on those are nuts though of course.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Shining the Holy Ark has its charms. I love the atmosphere, but it's a bit too grindy for me.

When video game collectors think of desirable Saturn games, PDS comes to mind first. It did for me even before I collected for Sega Saturn. Kind of like how when someone thinks of PS1, it's Final Fantasy VII, or SNES being Earthbound. Just has to do with word of mouth and reading on it in countless forums that drive up the price.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Buying a game because everyone else is buying it .

Well you have to like the genre first.