Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 129

Thread: Console Classics Emulated PS1 to PC Releases

  1. #1
    Senior Member Jamesac68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    314

    Console Classics Emulated PS1 to PC Releases

    A company called Console Classics (http://www.consoleclassics.co/) just released N2O (http://store.steampowered.com/app/364840) on Steam yesterday, with more games on the way.

    So if they can get the appropriate emulator licenses (http://steamcommunity.com/app/364840...0528711365888/) to get this done, any chance of Lunar 1, 2, Alundra making an appearance?

  2. #2
    Senior Member PhantomSentry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,647
    Someone provide me with a reason for using this rather than emulating the old fashioned way. This would be INCREDIBLE if emulators weren't a thing, but they are so.....

  3. #3
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac68 View Post
    A company called Console Classics (http://www.consoleclassics.co/) just released N2O (http://store.steampowered.com/app/364840) on Steam yesterday, with more games on the way.

    So if they can get the appropriate emulator licenses (http://steamcommunity.com/app/364840...0528711365888/) to get this done, any chance of Lunar 1, 2, Alundra making an appearance?
    I think the legality of what they're doing commercially is very much murky. Does the emulator use all or part of the original PS BIOS? Illegal. Does the ISO rip still have Sony PS1 code libraries on it? Illegal. Did they skip the GPL PS1 emulator splash screen (yes)? Illegal. Did then include a GPL? If not, Illegal.

    Alundra and Arc have next to no chance since I doubt Sony would allow any of their IP on Steam. Other PS1 titles would depend on the answers to the above questions being proven to be legal. It's a high hurdle and it won't be sorted out quickly. I have to give it to them, though. They either have giant brass balls or they're really ignorant of potential consequences.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Fabrizo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    Someone provide me with a reason for using this rather than emulating the old fashioned way. This would be INCREDIBLE if emulators weren't a thing, but they are so.....
    Yea, this seems rather pointless. If they got around the texture swimming and polygon jitter issues then that would be one thing (visually equivalent to a proper port atp), but from what I've seen it looks like it maintains all the issues present in normal PS1 releases.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jamesac68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    314
    Darn. Console Classics seem to feel they're on legal ground with the way they're doing it, so I was hoping it might be viable.

    And the reason for doing it this way is because a Steam copy is legit, vs emulation being the alternative to getting a game legit. I've got nothing at all against emulation, and would never have played many arcade and NES games without it. It's much easier than firing up the original console, too, for the things I actually own. It's just nicer to have a legitimate copy of a game, is all.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Fabrizo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac68 View Post
    And the reason for doing it this way is because a Steam copy is legit, vs emulation being the alternative to getting a game legit...It's just nicer to have a legitimate copy of a game, is all.
    Huh? Plenty of people that use emulation software own perfectly legit copies of their games. You don't need to be a pirate to use emulators.
    Some people even go the extra mile and rip the bios from their own console for use with the emulator, as playing on emulators has many advantages over the original hardware.
    Last edited by Fabrizo1; 07-01-2015 at 02:58 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Jamesac68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    314
    I'm sorry, but "plenty of people" is an incredibly small percentage. Super-tiny. Neither of us have exact numbers but MAME alone should prove that the number of people who own old games and use emulation to access them more easily isn't particularly large.

  8. #8
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,510
    Yeah, but they have TNN Motorsports Hardcore TR. I mean, seriously? Who doesn't want to pay to play that in an emulator!?

    I bet it has music by Phalanx banjo man.


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    3,061
    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Yeah, but they have TNN Motorsports Hardcore TR. I mean, seriously? Who doesn't want to pay to play that in an emulator!?

    I bet it has music by Phalanx banjo man.

    LMAO! One day, I swear, I will get that box, just the box, and frame it in my room. Kemco at it's finest XD

  10. #10
    Senior Member almighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Yeah, but they have TNN Motorsports Hardcore TR. I mean, seriously? Who doesn't want to pay to play that in an emulator!?

    I bet it has music by Phalanx banjo man.

    Why is that everytime I look at that man with the banjo, he reminds me of him.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •