Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Console Classics Emulated PS1 to PC Releases

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    I think the legality of what they're doing commercially is very much murky. Does the emulator use all or part of the original PS BIOS? Illegal. Does the ISO rip still have Sony PS1 code libraries on it? Illegal. Did they skip the GPL PS1 emulator splash screen (yes)? Illegal. Did then include a GPL? If not, Illegal.

Alundra and Arc have next to no chance since I doubt Sony would allow any of their IP on Steam. Other PS1 titles would depend on the answers to the above questions being proven to be legal. It's a high hurdle and it won't be sorted out quickly. I have to give it to them, though. They either have giant brass balls or they're really ignorant of potential consequences.
    There has been ports and emulation of Nintendo hardware on non-N hardware without problem. Like Rare's stuff. Including their newly announced Rare collection

Likewise Super Noah's Ark has recently been released on Steam.

Also: It's possible to develop Emulation without the need for the BIOS. ARBEX and PCSX-R are proof of this.

There is also the emulation of the PS1 on the 360 for SOTN

ePSXe sells as a premium app on Android and has had no legal issues..

And I personally don't see a problem with Polygon Wobbling,dithering and the like, as this is simply a byproduct of the original hardware. Low precision, no Z-Buffer,no perspective correction,etc.
    Last edited by MrBonkers; 07-01-2015 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    There has been ports and emulation of Nintendo hardware on non-N hardware without problem. Like Rare's stuff. Including their newly announced Rare collection

Likewise Super Noah's Ark has recently been released on Steam.

Also: It's possible to develop Emulation without the need for the BIOS. ARBEX is proof of this.
    But that doesn't get around the issue of the fact that virtually all, if not all of the PS games have parts of Sony's development libraries physically compiled into the disc. The legality of USING that is pretty clear for personal use of emulators. The legality of SELLING an emulated game that relies on that has not, to my knowledge, been settled. Just because it hasn't come up in a lawsuit recently doesn't mean it won't.

What I like is how they went straight to Tatsunoko/Takara to get the license to Tatsunoko Fight. Goes to show you that the BS Capcom went through for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was all for naught when they could have just gotten the license straight from Tatsunoko to release the game. I think that's what Namco-Bandai eventually did for those J-Stars games. Another example of big publishers being comprised of people sucking at their jobs.

I'll take my emulated games without DRM.

Kick their asses PhantomSentry.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Hey I'm a lesser evil to game creators. I do not believe in emulating current gen or previous gen. If it's two or more console cycles old, it's fair game. PS2, GC and before for me. =)

Yeah I don't emulate but I have nothing against people that do for older stuff especially when it's prohibitively expensive (should someone have to pay $150 to enjoy Borderdown simply because the dev won't put out a remaster for PS3 or something? no). Paying to emulate is nonsense.

Emulation preserves the media. Without it, eventually there would be no more working systems and all of the discs would eventually be too old or damaged. While it does suck to bust your ass to make something and a bunch of people take it for free, it's unreasonable to complain much about it well after anyone remembers seeing it in a store. What would suck a lot more than either of those things would be for your creation to totally disappear.

I love video games too much not to steal them. =P

If something ever did become unplayable I would emulate for sure. The unreliable systems are going to go first, such as 3D0 and Dreamcast.

Btw Vic if you see this thanks for letting us have these kinds of discussions here.

Absolutely! I've lost a couple of GameFAQs accounts like this. Though I also gotta add that when it comes to WD games, I insist on owning the actual game because I give credit where credit is due.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast