Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Holy Grail in Gaming? (The game you cherish the most!)

Lightbulb Your Holy Grail in Gaming? (The game you cherish the most!)

Either rarity/value wise, or as a memorable piece in your collection:

For me, it would have to be Panzer Dragoon Saga and MUSHA. I got them both under different circumstances. PDS was purchased about at the market going rate a few months ago ($230 complete--now it's a bit higher); and MUSHA, I found at my local Goodwill for .$75 cents, cart only. This goes to show there are still good finds at Goodwill--you just have to be there at the right time/place.

-----

As far as a memorable piece in my collection, I would say Xenogears, which I got around 2000/2001 for $55 used. Back then, the game was quite rare. I have such fond memories of this game, waking up early (6-7am) and playing it at my parents' house (Kitchen TV, didn't have a TV in my room at the time) until almost noon. Before even getting the game, I would play the demo bundled with Parasite Eve over and over again! I even remember where it ends and I've watched the intro fmv sooooo many times!

I don't replay games too many times (much less RPGs), but Xenogears I think I played 2-3 times since then.

Let's see, I have plenty of rare titles. Space Chem: Limited Edition may be the rarest since I was one of 204 people who pledged to the Kickstarter for a physical copy, making me one of the 204 owners of such a thing. One of the reasons to pledge to KS is for games that have limited physical runs when they are going through the pledge phase, but also for bragging rights.

I also have a physical copy of Resonance, by Wadjet Eye Games, which they advertised for a few weeks for its only physical run.

Memorable?

I guess Gradius III.
    Another regular at the cyber-bar. Getting drunk on bandwidth.

It isn't my rarest, but I cherish my copy of Final Fantasy 8. It was the first ever FF, or RPG for that matter, that I had played. I sunk 300+ hours training all my characters, getting cards, and obtaining every GF. My favorite of all-time.

Hrm... I'd say my rarest game is probably the copy of SD Gundam Dimension Wars for Virtual Boy. I was stalking eBay for a while trying to get one at a fair price. I've got plenty of games that the market tries to call rare in their pricing, but they had large enough print runs that I don't think they count.

But most cherished? That's tougher. The game I've probably gone back to the most number of times is Legacy of the Wizard. I'm even putting a couple of friends through it now, so... I guess that would count?
    -dunno001
    -CoH2? Yeah, that can Come on Here 2! ^_^

Not remotely rare compared to some other games I have, but Grandia, for sure.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    As far as a memorable piece in my collection, I would say Xenogears, which I got around 2000/2001 for $55 used. Back then, the game was quite rare. I have such fond memories of this game, waking up early (6-7am) and playing it at my parents' house (Kitchen TV, didn't have a TV in my room at the time) until almost noon. Before even getting the game, I would play the demo bundled with Parasite Eve over and over again! I even remember where it ends and I've watched the intro fmv sooooo many times!

I don't replay games too many times (much less RPGs), but Xenogears I think I played 2-3 times since then.
    Xenogears was pretty rate in the early part of the last decade. I scored mine used (but in good condition) because it was out of print. It later was reprinted when Square determined that there was a demand, and then was soon turned into a Greatest Hits game. I'm not sure that there were very many copies in the original printing, as it was very uncommon for me to ever see it on the shelves, used. The only time I did, I bought it.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    This one is tough for me, as I have too many favorites. I love collecting and playing games, so the whole collection is special I'd have to break it down by console.

My TurboGrafx / PC Engine collection is among my most prized gaming possessions. I do have an unopened TG16, as well as a mint Turbo Express (Mint with box), and a complete CD-ROM2 system with briefcase. Some of my games include; Kaze Kiri, Dracula X, Strider, Gradius 2: Gofer, Lords of Thunder, an Arcade Card Pro, several system cards and import adapters, Xak III, Dragon Slayer (US), Vasteel (US), Parasol Stars (US). I consider my TG16 collection to be more of a sentimental part of my collection, rather than rare. But it does seem like it's getting more difficult to find certain PCE games at reasonable prices. For instance, I still don't have Soldier Blade because the cost continues to climb, even for the import. But I do have a pretty good general collection of games. I have every Working Designs game, complete (most with boxes), except for Exile II. That one is probably forever going to be missing from my collection, unfortunately.

Most memorable: Too many good games to count. My rarer games aren't even my favorites. I'd have to go with all of the great Shooters; Lords of Thunder, Blazing Lazers / Gunhed, the Soldier series.

On the PSX, I've got Valkyrie Profile, Persona 2: EP (original, non-reprint), Tales of Destiny, Grandia, Star Ocean 2, Xenogears, and every Working Designs game (an unopened RayCrisis), two copies of Vanguard Bandits. Virtually all of my PSX games are mint because I seldom purchased used games at the time. All of the Working Designs games seem to be holding their value better than most games, and all of my pack-ins are unopened. The Working Designs games are my most prized items on the PSX.

Most memorable: If I had to pick one, it would be Elemental Gearbolt. There was nothing else like it on the market - ever. Xenogears is one of my all-time favorite RPGs. Other stand-outs from other genres would be G. Darius and Castlevania: SOTN

PS2: Every Working Designs game, including Growlanser Deluxe. All pack-ins unopened (an unopened Gungriffon Blaze). Not a whole lot else on the PS2 is really all that rare yet. I have a decent collection of RPGs.

Most memorable: Shadow of the Colossus. It isn't even rare. I just really liked it.

Saturn: Magic Knight Rayearth is my rarest game. It's mint. Unbeknownst to me, until now, these seem to be going used for nearly $200. I bought it on launch day. Shining the Holy Ark is probably the only other Saturn game that I have of significance, as far as rarity goes.

Most memorable: I don't own many Saturn games, so I'd have to go with MKR.

Dreamcast: BBA with box, Project Justice, Mark of the Wolves, Skies of Arcadia, Bangai-O, Shenmue II UK release, and in general - a pretty good selection of great Dreamcast games.

Most memorable: I'd have to go with Skies of Arcadia.

SNES: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, Secret of Mana. Super Metroid, Zelda. Most are mint / complete.

Most memorable: Definitely Final Fantasy II. Even though III was technically superior in most every respect, Final Fantasy II (IV) will always be my favorite game in the series because of the way it defined the console RPG. And I have great memories of playing the game with a few of my friends, taking turns at the controls and exploring and mastering the game.

NES: Probably my mint in box Final Fantasy. I'm still in the process of rebuilding my NES collection.

Most memorable: Too many to choose from. Metroid, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Contra, Life Force, Castlevania II, Crystalis. That console is one of the best ever.

I also have a decent Gamecube, Wii, and Xbox 360 collection, Genesis, among others. I'm now trying to collect PSP and DS games as well.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 05-26-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    I loathe the terminology, but I replay most my PC games on a regular basis.

Is the reprint of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment different from the orginal?

Was there a reprint? I still have my copy of P2EP, never got that far in it though.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast