Thread: Final Fantasy Box Set (VII, VIII, IX guides)

Final Fantasy Box Set (VII, VIII, IX guides)

So did anyone buy the FF Box Set guides? I was really looking forward to this, until I read some 20 negative reviews on Amazon. Everyone's complaining of typos, and the overall layout saying it was just a copy/ paste job from the original guides. Even mixed character bios. Like on Vincents bio page in the ff7 guide; there's Vincents name and pic and limit breaks, but the bio is of Red XIIIs. WTF?! How could so many mistakes be made?

The only positive thing about it all is the packaging and ff9s guide took out all the "playOnline.com" b.s. and filled it in with half passed info that was on the play online site

I wonder if just so many units turned out this crappy, and the majority of the guides have been fixed? If so, the crappy versions may be worth something someday... Like the ff7 1st print typo on the back of the CD case...?

Packaging is the only thing going for it. I saw it a few months ago, but the price wasn't that great. http://amzn.to/1JX4y3o

Easy money.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Quote Originally Posted by njhowe999 View Post
    So did anyone buy the FF Box Set guides? I was really looking forward to this, until I read some 20 negative reviews on Amazon. Everyone's complaining of typos, and the overall layout saying it was just a copy/ paste job from the original guides. Even mixed character bios. Like on Vincents bio page in the ff7 guide; there's Vincents name and pic and limit breaks, but the bio is of Red XIIIs. WTF?! How could so many mistakes be made?

The only positive thing about it all is the packaging and ff9s guide took out all the "playOnline.com" b.s. and filled it in with half passed info that was on the play online site

I wonder if just so many units turned out this crappy, and the majority of the guides have been fixed? If so, the crappy versions may be worth something someday... Like the ff7 1st print typo on the back of the CD case...?
    Really?

I haven't opened any of the books to look through them yet, not sure if I want to ruin the covers by opening them, I did buy it for the sake of having the box set, not using it

Strategy guides back when those games were first released were already obsolete with GameFAQs. This seems completely pointless by today's standards.

I still prefer a physical book most of the time. Especially if it deals with maps or collecting a bunch of crap.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

I have to agree with Brad, I still collect for rpg titles I like, but actual practical use is non existent. And most of the guides put out now are gimmicky and not worth it.

An updated FF9 guide would be nice, but this whole thing reeks of cash grab and nostalgia farming. I saw another guy got this from Amazon and it was super beat up from shipping as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.