Thread: Dark Storm: Ascension (PC, Kickstarter) Stealth Game

Dark Storm: Ascension (PC, Kickstarter) Stealth Game

Hello folks,

We would like to make everyone aware that our Kickstarter is moving into its final 19 days. We still need a lot of help - and I mean a lot

Hopefully those checking this post out will find our little indie stealth game something you might want to back. Anything at this point helps - while we hope we get funding, we are also trying to build our community, which has been quite strong and growing over this past week and half.

To date we have gotten over a dozen press sites to do stories on us, features and interviews, as well as a few YouTubers who have played through our free prototype demo of Dark Storm: VR Missions - a standalone concept that was just Greenlight on Steam today - our second Greenlight - both taken less than 10 days. All of our press can be read on our official Kickstarter page, while the prototype for Dark Storm: VR Missions is free to download on Steam and IndieDB.

Our game is a indie developed stealth action game and is currently on Kickstarter, where we are seeking $50,000 to complete the transfer of our assets from UDK to Unreal Engine 4, as well as the development of new material such as characters, weapons and levels, all of which is being done right now without funding - but funding helps the process go faster.

So please check out our Kickstarter and see for yourself what we are doing, and PLEASE PLEDGE - even a $1 or $10 helps.

Kickstarter
    Facebook
    Website

11214349_1210681362290911_6824202120370230536_n.jpg
    DKS Main Menu BG2.jpgDKS Amber VS Ivan sm.jpg001.jpgAncile soldiers.jpg
    Last edited by adarkstorm; 08-14-2015 at 03:14 AM.

This thread is awfully reminiscent of another one, except for Gypsy's first post.
    http://www.gaijinworks.com/interact/...-The-7th-Guest

Your lead artist did a good job. The art looks great.

The footage shown in the video is not as convincing though. I mean, the frame rate is very choppy. I get that you're showing the game in an early phase of development, but surely for a demo video you should be able to produce something a little smoother? The first impression people get is very important in a Kickstarter project. So you really have to nail it in the video.

Also, if you followed up on this forum a little, most regulars would prefer getting a physical copy of their games.
    The real Goldar: "GVC are posers."
    http://i.imgur.com/PI2Ob5H.png

Yeah, the stuttering framerate in the mostly empty room in the beginning really jumps out. People into PC games freak out about that kind of thing even when the framerate problems are much more subtle. I'd definitely try to optimize and re-cut that video to help yourselves.

Believe me, I feel your Kickstarter pain, but you still have time. You just need to optimize your pitch and your video to try to improve your reach.

The concept art is nice, but I'm going to be brutally honest: The game looks generic, and has absolutely nothing that makes it stand out as something 'different' and worth funding. $5k in 10 days shows that I'm probably not alone in thinking this.
    Last edited by Fabrizo1; 08-14-2015 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    The concept art is nice, but I'm going to be brutally honest: The game looks generic, and has absolutely nothing that makes it stand out as something 'different' and worth funding. $5k in 10 days shows that I'm probably not alone in thinking this.
    Yeah, some kind of "cool factor" related to stealth would help sell it. Maybe taking over guards Warg-style (it IS sci-fi) and letting them clear the other guards for you, or just Warging into them to move them to another place so you can get by an area they're guarding. Or any other cool sci-fi scenario that would separate it from the pack. Since there's no shooting, you need some cool "hooks" to make the game a want.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    Concur. It's a game that, from the looks of it, I'd pay a couple bucks for.

@Wiley: People are really good at finding this site (and its 10 active users!) when they have something to sell.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Concur. It's a game that, from the looks of it, I'd pay a couple bucks for.
    Unless it's a digital-only game! *bum dum dsh* Kidding, I didn't come here just to say that.

I love the art shown in the pitch video, but god damn is that stutter bad... I'm not one to complain about minor things like some stutter or low frame rate or whatever, but it's SUPER evident in the video that the game is struggling at the moment. That's something that usually gets solved during the prototype phase which you guys seem to have passed. Without that being fixed, I doubt anyone watching the video will seriously want to pay for the game.

Generic stealth games are fine for me, given the right price, but not a technically weak stealth game.

I buy games digitally for $2 and less all day long. Notice I said "for a real price" earlier in the other thread. Buying games for ~$2 doesn't really help anyone but that's the price I like to pay, and generally, lots of games get there.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

I also agree the concept art looks really nice.

In the 4th attached photo with the characters in winter camo though that looks like Scarlett Johansson's head on the first body!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.