Page 8 of 976 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108508 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games - physical runs of digital games

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedRunGames View Post
    Retro City Rampage DX on PS4 was the first ratings-less game released and I think that hit December 2014. This could be related to platforms - maybe PSP/PS3 releases are tied to a different set of requirements?
    I wonder... if one company were in the process of obtaining an ESRB rating, but knowing now this information would decide not to continue with the ESRB rating process, that company would have to pay the $5000 in full, or only a part of them?

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Yeah, I already posted that in the Collector's Cove thread earlier today:

http://www.gaijinworks.com/interact/...ll=1#post55250

Still, it doesn't look like they're looking into being selective as to what they're going to release after they got their own games out of the door. There's no mission statement other that "we don't like digital only".
    Just for reference, we are definitely considering quality when it comes to what we release. You're not going to see a physical release of Fluster Cluck or Basement Crawl from us - unless we're pulling some king of really weird April Fool's joke where we wanted to throw away twenty grand.

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    I thought this was interesting:

It's a bit of a weird reasoning that they can't pay developers much because the print runs are huge. You'd think that the more copies get sold, the more the developer makes... Also producing larger numbers should reduce the average production cost.

My guts says he's right though that bringing those games to retail is not the right approach. I have the impression that the Wii U release of Teslagrad isn't selling at all for example. The store clerk at my local store said as much when I inquiered about it some time ago: zero copies sold at their store.

He's wrong about ripping off Vblank though. Doing small runs, direct to customers. Doesn't that feel familiar? I think he's ripping off someone else.
    The bigger the print run, the more money is spent on the print run. Honestly, the difference between 2,000 units and 10,000 is probably just a few pennies on the artwork order. Essentially, you pay the same price per unit for a small order as you would a big one. If the publisher incurs a huge upfront cost on a print-run they aren't going to pay the developer anything significant (or anything, really) until that investment is recouped. If the publisher had printed half of the copies, it'd be significantly quicker for the developer to see some real money. Giant print runs, coupled with all the costs associated with brick and mortar, just isn't the right path to bring indie games to a physical format. Smaller print runs targeted at collectors, fans, and enthusiasts are really the way to approach this. Problem is, the potential gains a publisher could see from that approach are pretty negligible - thankfully, we're stupid enough to step in and do it.

Now see, that's the kind of post that's probably not worth a response.

You guys need to get on releasing retail copies of 'Crypt of the Necrodancer' and 'Undertale' (assuming that ever comes to consoles).

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    You guys need to get on releasing retail copies of 'Crypt of the Necrodancer' and 'Undertale' (assuming that ever comes to consoles).
    We would be all over Undertale if it was to come to PS4 or Vita. Such an incredible game! Necrodancer is great too and has been on our wishlist to publish for a while.

I'd love to see some good puzzle games as well.
    Nobody will tell me how to live.

Our release should be on October 29th at 12:00 PM EST!
    Let the chaos ensue.

Limited Run Games ‏@LimitedRunGames 34 min
    Nintendo's new developer site is promising, it looks like physical Wii U publishing might be a possibility for us. I'll be researching today

Edit:

From the new Dev portal:

Our new website makes publishing simple

This new website had one goal—to make your lives easier. We’re hard at work making more and better tools to help you self-publish, digitally publish, and publish at retail.
    Our plans are big, because yours are

We’ll soon have advanced project tracking and ROM submission, project-based message boards and more, helping you with every step—from concept, to publish, to counting your accolades. And as always, you’ll have the best global developer support team ever, right from the start, making the Nintendo Developer Portal your go-to resource.
    Nintendo Dev Interface

Our newest gem in the box is the NDI Client. NDI stands for Nintendo Dev Interface, but it’s really going to be your new best friend. The NDI Client will help make sure you have the optimal development environment on your development system — by downloading and installing it all for you! You can tailor it to the platform you’re developing for, the SDK you want, even the region you’re working in. It allows easy download of all the relevant guidelines and documentation you need to do your work. It even allows you to update the firmware of certain development kits.
    Last edited by JWiley_12; 10-16-2015 at 05:31 PM.
    The real Goldar: "GVC are posers."
    http://i.imgur.com/PI2Ob5H.png

So does this change anything for Vic & GW?

Page 8 of 976 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108508 ... LastLast